We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

Hi All,

I have been an avid follower of this forum for some time, but this is my first time posting to it. I will start off by saying this is not a hysterical rant, I will use paragraphs and Virgin Australia did indeed get me safely from point A to point B (albeit 3 hour late).....

Last night at Brisbane airport there was a fair bit of chaos - I heard 3 announcements that flights to Sydney were cancelled due to weather (2 were Virgin flights, one was Jetstar). The first announcement was along the lines of "sorry, it's been cancelled, go collect your bags, head home, and call the guest contact center to reschedule your flight." Obviously fine if you lived in Brisbane....at which point people began swarming the service desk. I assumed they were being given vouchers for hotels/food/taxis etc. Apparently not - another passenger advised that as it was due to weather, they were not responsible for assisting people - Jetstar even went one better, and when making their announcements they actually said as much. By this stage, the line up was enormous, one woman was wailing hysterically and had one Virgin staffer trying (unsuccessfully)to console her...

My flight was now being given helpful "you have been delayed, hopefully we will leave at 9pm but we're not really sure" type updates, at which point I started to panic....Brisbane accommodation is exorbitant at the best of times, plus the Ashes were on and lots of places were packed....I started eyeing up a nice piece of fluffy carpet in the corner and I had visions of me spending the next 12 hours or so trying to sleep there with my handbag as a pillow.....(mental note: never wear skinny jeans when flying, comfort over speed next time for sure!)

Now I had plenty of time to observe and ponder last night as I waited and waited....whilst I can understand the airline not having to pay, I can't help but think it is a little bit rough to abandon those travelers that are away from home. Has this happened to anyone else? Are you genuinely left to fend for yourself in these situations?

DC
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

I hate it when the airlines cause the weather to be bad and then don't give me stuff.

Edited: 23 November 2013, 03:17
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

Weather is not their responsibility anymore than it is yours.

It can be an unfortunate situation for travelers, as you are usually left to fend for yourself ... I can recall numerous evening news reports showing people sleeping in airport due to snow storm closures, etc. Some airlines may help you out a bit, such a meal coupons for a long wait, but it is rare that they would put you up for the night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

In eu, no, they have to provide duty of care. in Australia, for domestic travel. I didn't know, so I took two mins to read the terms and conditions you had ticked and said you read prior to buying your ticket with virgin australia and the answer is no, they have no liability for costs incurred due to a cancellation or delay for events outwith their control.

Next time, it's genuinely advisable to read the terms and conditions before buying your ticket, or if you wish to know your entitlement, then have a look there first.

Ps I travel in skinny jeans, even on over night flights, and find them very comfortable, I don't see the relevance or the issue in relation to whether you are due compensation following a cancellation or delay due to bad weather. If you don't find them comfortable, then you are not wearing the correct size. However as said, it's not relevant.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

Hi Froggy,

I'm not claiming nor expecting compensation for anything. I got home last night, tired but unscathed like everyone else on my flight. I just felt really sorry for all the people who were on the cancelled flights last night frantically on the phone trying to book hotels etc (espec those with kids, elderly). Brisbane was at capacity due to big events and I dare say accommodation would have been in very short supply. It would have been a nightmare for them. My reference to the jeans was simply that my outfit of choice for sleeping on the floor in a public space would not be jeans, skinny or otherwise. Unlike you I don't find skinny jeans terribly comfy over a long period, but I do appreciate your sizing advice ever so much.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

Lol, you're welcome, we are multi talented on here,,:-))

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

Bad weather, in Brisbane, during the Ashes? I think there are some over in the UK praying that more people are delayed - at least through Monday - compensation or no compensation? :-)))

Edited: 23 November 2013, 05:20
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

Unlike you I don't find skinny jeans terribly comfy over a long period, but I do appreciate your sizing advice ever so much.>>>> in my day if you could get your jeans done up without lying on the bed and using a coat hanger to pull up the zip they weren't tight enough!!

Weather is always a nightmare and wrecks many a plan. The airlines at least re-accommodate you on another flight.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

Sounds like I might have been able to rent out my spare room last night as I am only 15mins from the airport. Think it is going to take more than bad weather to save the poms at the moment.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,052 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

And yet another reason to fly Qantas ...

The whole country was affected last night due to those storms in Sydney, flights were being cancelled and rescheduled all night. If someone decides to fly Jetstar or Virgin and forks out around $80 or less I would expect the least amount of service.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline responsibility when flights cancelled due to weather

Ok I know it's not travel related, but the comment about lying on the bed to do jeans up bought back some memories! I find skinny jeans very comfy, like a second skin!