We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

Id appreciate advice and terminal to terminal info if anyone can....

I'm a flying with United from Heathrow To Newark into TB at 16:00

we have to catch our connecting flight with United from TC at 17:44, which seems awfully tight.

We booked them on line as a single ticket and there customer services say it will be fine mam (!)

I just found out i have to collect my luggage and re-check as well as getting through immigration, so im pretty worried about making the connecting flight. Never connected via USA before so all advice welcome! im use to connecting flights transferring my luggage and staying air-side with no worries.

do i have time to make the flights - anyone done this? there is no other flight that day to sjo (!)

is the transfer easy - and how long - what do i need to do terminal to terminal?

is there any opportunity to buy food an drink or should we just run!

Thanks in advance :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

Terminal B and Terminal C are right beside each other however, I do not believe that 1hr 44 mins is sufficient to clear Immigration , customs, hand your bags over and get to your next gate within that time frame.

Is there an earlier flight from LHR that you could take? Alternatively you could be looking at an overnight in NYC.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

I don't think i am able to change the flights as they were bought as one ticket via opodo and changes are very expensive. they say they would not sell me a ticket that i couldn't make, but im doubting that more and more. i could certainly make an earlier flight, they have recently changed my flight times and i now have 1hr 39 mins for the terminal change!!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

As is common here, by the time you ask your question, it's a moot point (due to high cost of changes). So you're really asking "should I worry?" not "do I have enough time?" Yes, you should worry about making the connection, but since the tickets are on one itinerary and on one airline, if you do miss the connection, UA will endeavor to put you on the next flight with available seats-- though that may not be the very next flight. UA has several flights to SFO, both non-stop and with connections, so you should get to SFO, but exactly when is another question. I'd guess you'll get there the same day.

What time are you schedule to arrive at EWR, and how many more flights are there to SFO that day? Hopefully not on a holiday weekend, etc. when flights are all full.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

Getting to your next gate will mean walking up two levels, taking the tram to Tc and then going through security. Unfortunately you can't do it airside.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

I just noticed that United has changed the time again, by a few minutes, so i called them and they have moved me onto the earlier flight FOC :) well done United!

OK so they say the transfer can be done in 1 hours 40 mins if anyone else is reading this post!! but as you can see that's cutting it too close. luckily the change they made to my flights worked out at 1 hr 39 mins, so they were happy to switch my flight for free....

thanks for the advice all :) xx

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

Google " EWR AIRPORT " and have a good look at

the airport guide and map

UK
Level Contributor
313 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

Great result - I am pleased you don't have to worry, and well done United for using a bit of common sense!

I think most people would suggest at least 3 hours to connect from an international arrival in the USA. Better to have time to grab a coffee than arrive a day late at your destination.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

Good outcome !

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

Thanks ! You never really expect a good outcome so im pretty pleased! thanks for the help:)

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting flights UK - SJO with United via Newark Liberty

I know, imagine an airline using common sense and offering great customer services, whatever next!! im buying a lotto ticket today for sure ;)