We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

Zipper finally gave out on my luggage (Samsonite) and I'm shopping for new for a trip to Kauai for two weeks. I've narrowed it down to TravelPro T-Pro Bold or Samsonite Hyperspace. The main goal is to have something durable, identifiable (both come in good colors) at baggage claim, and easy to use. The Samsonite has spinner wheels, the TravelPro has conventional wheels. I like the looks of the latter slightly better, perhaps. Experience with either brand?

69 replies to this topic
Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

Spinner wheels can be great, but they can also be a huge pain under certain conditions. I have a set of luggage with spinner wheels and another set with the conventional 2 wheels, and I use them both regularly. Spinner bags are wonderful on flat, hard surface airport terminal floors. However, I find they don't roll nearly as well as the bags with 2 large wheels when the surface turns to thick carpeting (like in many hotel hallways). I also prefer the 2-wheel variety when on bumpy surfaces such as cobble stones, rough pavement, boardwalks and wooden docks. The big 2-wheel variety also tends to work better in the winter on snow-covered sidewalks and driveways.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

Just purchased the TravelPro--thanks so much for your recommendations and info on the carry on rules at UA!

denver
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

It has been my experience that Travelpro does not honor their warranty.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

How about Pelican?

The testimonials are amazing. It's what the military uses sometimes. Even when the humvee's been taken out by an IED, the contents of the Pelican are always still good. You'd think that the soldiers should be put inside the Pelicans too.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

Hi,

"It has been my experience that Travelpro does not honor their warranty."

==> I've had the exact opposite experience.. Granted, I have a crew version which isn't sold retail, but each time I've either needed something replaced (due to wear) it's been done ASAP and the one time I had a warranty issue, it was resolved on-site while-I-waited.

Travel Safe,

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,136 posts
1,414 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

We have used various Samsonite luggage in the past, and most has served us well. Have not used TravelPro.

However, we have been using Tumi for the last ten, or so years (one piece goes way back), and have been impressed. We have examples of most of their Alpha line, and have had zero complaints. We have done the "Accent My Alpha," so have the various red trim on the basic black Alpha. For ready identification, I have a bright red nylon luggage belt for each piece, and with the red name tags, plus zipper pulls, have never had issues spotting any of pieces, even at the busiest of airports. Once, I had "international orange" nylon belts, but cannot find those any more.

One thing that I like about the Tumi Alpha is that the zipper pulls will detach, before the zipper is damaged, and those are easy to replace at any Tumi store.

I have a garment bag, that has been around the world several times, over the 20 years that I have had it. It looks like new, though Tumi did have to replace two zippers (for free).

Finding the ideal luggage is like locating the "holy grail," and I hope that you have found that, which works best for you.

Travel safely,

Hunt

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,136 posts
1,414 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

<<Spinner wheels can be great, but they can also be a huge pain under certain conditions.>>

Very good point. We have golf club bags with spinner wheels, and those normally work well. However, out at the hotel shuttle curb at SFO, with a 10 degree slope, they cause all sorts of problems. On our last trip through SFO to HNL with our bags, I was so frustrated that I called our San Francisco limo service, just to go to/from the Burlingame Hilton (layover between PHX and HNL), rather than fight the slopes. [Should have just rented clubs!]

Hunt

Boston...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

Just wanted to say, in case you have not looked into it, that you should contact Samsonite about fixing the zipper. My Samsonite zipper was broken by an airline recently and Samsonite just had me bring the bag to a Samsonite store, who sent it to the factory to fix, and they will be mailing the bag back to me directly in the next couple weeks. So while I realize that two weeks is not enough turnaround time for this, you might want to do this so you can use the luggage again in the future!

I personally love my Samsonite luggage.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,886 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

My pilot husband and I use High Sierra bags. His Travelpro is only for trips that require lots of room for multiple climates and uniform jacket. Otherwise our 22" AT Lite series bags do the 2 wk leisure travel very nicely. Overhead friendly/zip off pack. (we cut out the main bag backpack straps since don't use them--makes nice pocket for papers.)

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!

Thank you for your insight on handling a too large, too heavy bag. I really can't manage more than 40 lbs. by myself; so, I'm going to buy the 25" instead of the larger ones.

Reply to: TravelPro or Samsonite? Need new luggage fast!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted