We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving US, question about immigration.

Chicago, Illinois...
1 post
Save Topic
Leaving US, question about immigration.

I am an international student leaving US from Chicago. I have a connection flight from JFK, from where I actually go out of US. But the connection time in JFK is very less, around 1.5hrs. All the travel is on a single itinerary, with KLM.

I want to know if I can complete my immigration processing at Chicago, instead of JFK.

Thank you.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving US, question about immigration.

Immigrations are processed when you ENTER a country not leave a country (with the exception of some flights to/from Canada and to/from Dublin - there may b e others but I am not away of them). Therefore, you will not be processed out of Chicago or New York. The agents there will simply make sure you ahve the right travel docuemtns for your destination.

Where are you flying into?

Hope this helps....

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving US, question about immigration.

There are no exit formalities from the US. Your passport will be checked by the airline but not by US border officials.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving US, question about immigration.

"Immigrations are processed when you ENTER a country not leave a country (with the exception of some flights to/from Canada and to/from Dublin - there may b e others but I am not away of them)"

Not true at all. In fact, many countries require you to go through passport control to exit.

However, the USA is not one of them. As Douglas DC8 said, your passport, and any visa you may need for the country you are flying to, will be checked by the airline check in staff. In your case, that will happen in Chicago. You will not have any other immigration lines. At JFK, all you need to do is get yourself from one gate to the other.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
588 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving US, question about immigration.

It is probably easier to exit the USA than, say, North Korea. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving US, question about immigration.

No immigration formalities when you depart the USA or Canada.

I have got so used to that, it was a surprise when I left South Africa two weeks ago to round the corner after Security and find ANOTHER massive line-up for Passport Control. Meh.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 20:39
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving US, question about immigration.

Yep, I always forget what airport does what, I live in Brussels and you have to do it before leaving the country, but bizarrely not always on entrance, depends where you land ie which terminal. I've landed terminal a, collected my bags terminal b, which is a hell of a walk, and then walked straight out the airport, no immigration.

Can never get my head round it. I know it's about where I am coming from, or guess that's what it is. Hmm.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
664 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving US, question about immigration.

I suppose you hold a student visa, if that is the case you need to make sure that you turn your I-94 in when you check in. This gives you clearance that you left the US and would not penalize you for over staying or some sort of bureaucracy. If thye forget to ask you, it is best you address it. Once you forget, you might be hard to re-enter the US in the future.

8. Re: Leaving US, question about immigration.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:16