We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

Hi All,

My son is flying on Monday from Sydney to Oslo & return - 2 different airlines going & coming back in 3 weeks - which he booked through a travel website. He didn't realise until he received his ticket confirmation that he incorrectly spelt his middle name (with an extra letter) so it was his typo mistake. He has his passport, license and credit card payment to show the airline the correct spelling, if they bring it to their attention. Should he have any problems? The travel website suggested he cancel and get a refund, and get a new ticket issued, at an extra cost of at least $500! Needless to say, my son is panicking big time. He has been told that "it SHOULD be OK", but what if????? He actually flew overseas with the main airline a few months ago.

Perhaps someone can help with this urgent matter.

Many thanks,

Sandy (a worried mum)

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

Just to add - it is a return flight. Same airline all the way to Amsterdam & then a different airline from Amsterdam to Oslo - same route returning to Australia.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

Middle names are not important and don't need to be on your ticket/boarding pass at all. So I would say it will not be an issue and just chance it. But of course I cannot say for certain, I don't think anyone but the airline can. Have you called them, what do they say?

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

Hi Anna, The airline (China Southern) said that because there are 2 airlines, he would have to cancel his ticket & get a refund and pay for a new ticket. But they also said if he didn't do it, it SHOULD be ok, but could not make any guarantees. If it was only China Southern going all the way, they would have just done a name correction for about $50, but the other airline doing the last leg is the problem.My son is also scared that, because he has made the inquiry, they will put a mark against him in the computer, and will cause problems when he fronts up at checkin. I have just suggested he "play dumb" IF they mention the middle name has an extra letter in it. HELP! Any more suggestions,

Thanks again,

Sandy

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

I have never heard that people have been refused boarding because of a mistake in the middle name, I have always booked flights without my middle name even though it's on my passport and have never had a problem in all the time I've taken flights maybe the person you talked to at China Southern was unsure, try contacting them again as sometimes it depends on who you talk to.

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

Hi Chrella - He was soooo worried, that he ended up cancelling his ticket (refund takes 8-12 weeks) and booking another ticket - extra $500+! So I am going to the airport with him, and going to mention it to the check-in staff, and see what they say (and IF he could have flown with the 1 letter spelling mistake) Maybe they will feel sorry for him, and give him business class or perhaps an exit row???????? He will be peed off if they say that it would not have mattered, but I will let you all know, as it is something that should be of interest to many.

Cheers,

Sandy

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

Not due to any typing error on my part, but something within the Delta ticketing system has resulted in my last three trips being completed on tickets with my middle name repeated twice. No one has ever even looked up. There have been no questions, including international travel.

It is a shame that you son was intimidated into purchasing a new ticket because I am positive he would have been fine with his original ticket.

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

I am with you, Busy-retired. It will be a lesson learned. But he is so IN LOVE with his girlfriend overseas, he would have been shattered if there was a problem with him boarding. I do think the airlines are very money orientated and can intimidate people. IF ONLY his sister hadn't seen the mistake!!!!!!!!

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

Just to let you know what was said at the airport - checkin staff said that it COULD have been a problem. They definitely would have to had referred it to their supervisor if he had turned up with the old ticket. Then they would have decided whether or not to let him through. No definite "Yes" was given. However, they were happy to give him an exit row seat, because of what had happened.

Lesson learned - never enter your middle name, and ALWAYS check spelling before pressing the magic button!

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

I so glad he got something for his money. China air are trying to get a stronger foothold in Oz. I flew them last year Syd to Delhi via China of course.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Middle name has an extra letter on ticket

Sorry I meant China Southern.