We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing's "low price guarantee" - worth it?

Saint John, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Sunwing's "low price guarantee" - worth it?

Has anyone any experience with Sunwing's "low price guarantee" and were you able to make it work? For another $49 pp I can add on this "guarantee" but when I read the fine print, it was pretty precise (isn't it always?) in that only if the *exact same package* (same room type etc.) dropped in price would we qualify for the difference. We are looking at a package out of Saint John, NB to the DR in April 2014, which I don't think is high season; I am keen to book to confirm the where & when but DH thinks perhaps we should wait or purchase the "low price guarantee". I would welcome feedback from anyone with 1st hand knowledge on this topic. Cheers!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing's "low price guarantee" - worth it?

In my experience the small print will be relied on to exclude any protection - from "the room isn't quite the same" to even "the fare class of the economy air ticket was different in terms of its exclusions/permissions, even though it was for a seat in economy on the same flight".

Saint John, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing's "low price guarantee" - worth it?

You are no doubt right ... "there's never a 'gimme' without a 'gotcha'!"

Thanks for your input.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing's "low price guarantee" - worth it?

If you are happy with the price book it. Do not look back and check the prices after you have booked. This is just the same with airfares. I agree that it would be really difficult to claim on the price guarantee, there is always a reason for them not to pay and you are paying $49 for the privilege .

Enjoy your holiday.

Saint John, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing's "low price guarantee" - worth it?

Good advice! I think the price is reasonable, so I should just "go for it"!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunwing's "low price guarantee" - worth it?

I've used the price guarantee for my clients a few times and it does work. The big thing to realize is that if the price drops within 21 or 28 days (have to double check that one), it doesn't apply, so the last minute sell offs won't count.

What others are talking about with the same class or fare needing to be available on the plane don't apply here since Sunwing is a charter and don't use fare buckets, so that isn't a concern. Only economy has to be available and the same room category.

It's not as much of a problem using as the fare guarantee with airline's is. (they hardly ever work out) It does work, but you just have to watch the prices yourself.

Saint John, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing's "low price guarantee" - worth it?

Thanks for your input, I'll re-read the fine print and take it from there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunwing's "low price guarantee" - worth it?

My thought is this-the more people who buy the insurance, the less likely Sunwing is to drop prices (since they would not want to payout on people making claims). So they don't drop the price, period and leave a few seats perhaps unsold. Then they unload those at discount price at the last second (which likely is not claimable) or they put the last minute people into an inferior rooms so that the package is different

Look at it this way..if you went to buy a big screen tv at a store and they offered a product that cost 50 bucks to "protect" you against a price drop, what would you think? I would think ripoff, but that's just me! :)

Some companies give you price protection without paying a fee (protection money?)

8. Re: Sunwing's "low price guarantee" - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 06:19