We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I earn Aeroplan points on these US Airways Flights?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Will I earn Aeroplan points on these US Airways Flights?

Advanced Question:

Will I earn Aeroplan miles (as a star Alliance member) for Air Canada on the following US Airways flights?

One is operated by Republic airlines "doing business as US Airways Express" and the other is going to Turks and Caicos. I is a US Airways flight but I was worried it may not qualify because it is going to a "sun destination" but as far as I can tell it is not a charter. The flights are in class K and L which both qualify under Aeroplan.

Here is the detailed info below

My apologies if the formatting is lost :

Flight # / Carrier Depart Arrive Travel time Meal Aircraft Cabin

6:15 AM YYZ 8:39 AM CLT 2h24m -- E175 Coach (L)

Stop: Change plane

9:40 AM CLT 12:34 PM PLS 2h54m -- A319 Coach (L)

Return: Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands Toronto, Canada (Pearson Int'l Airport)

Date: Thursday, December 19, 2013

Depart:

Date:

Flight status

Flight # / Carrier Depart Arrive Travel time Meal Aircraft Cabin

1:35 PM PLS 4:33 PM CLT 2h58m -- A320 Coach (K)

Stop: Change plane

5:50 PM CLT 7:25 PM PHL 1h35m -- A330-200 Coach (K)

Stop: Change terminal

8:34 PM PHL 10:07 PM YYZ 1h33m -- E175 Coach (K)

US AirwaysOperated by Republic Airlines dba US Airways ExpressWi-Fi on board ($)

Provided by Gogo™ Inflight Internet

Here are the flight numbers

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I earn Aeroplan points on these US Airways Flights?

You should earn miles and elite qualifying miles/points on US Airways Express flights, yes, based on the mileage earning chart for US on the Aeroplan site. They count as regular US flights. Republic and other Express operators don't sell their own tickets on these flights - they operate them under contract to US.

HOWEVER, the issue is when these flights are, whether US will still be in Star Alliance at the time, and if not what transitional arrangements will be in place. US and American are due to merge (December 9 is the slated consummation date) and then US will leave Star and join OneWorld. That may affect whether you can earn AC miles/points.

Edited: 30 November 2013, 19:12
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I earn Aeroplan points on these US Airways Flights?

I read recently that it will take several months for all the programs (such as the frequent flyer program) to go from Star Alliance to One World. Don't know how accurate that is, though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I earn Aeroplan points on these US Airways Flights?

Thank you very much. You are a true expert! Everything you said was confirmed by US Airways.

4. Re: Will I earn Aeroplan points on these US Airways Flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:17