We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

I flew from Paris CDG to Bangalore, India, by Air France.

Upon arrival, they say both pieces of my checked in baggage are missing, and currently are not traced, and that they'll give make sure it gets to me as early as possible.

Almost all my clothes were in those bags, as well as a laptop, and some other needs.I needed that stuff for some meetings I have on Monday, i.e., the day after arrival.

AF said they'll reimburse me for essentials which I'll have to purchase, but I'm not sure how much is the amount I can claim for..

They say all questions regarding compensation claims must be directed to some other office, only via Snail mail, or via fax...and this being Sunday, no one will be there to answer my questions.

I've meetings with the directors of my company on Monday, and I dare not turn out in a T-Shirt and Jeans ( this is not one of those laid-back, come in anything type of companies). Will AF reimburse if I get a suit, shirt and tie, plus others..? What is the actual amount I can claim for?

Kindly help me out on this.

P.S. This is the second time AF has lost by baggage.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

Claim from your travel insurance.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

Emergency supplies normally refer to toiletries and pyjamas and doesn't amount to much money.

Putting a laptop in your checked luggage is most likely the reason it has disappeared

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

This was the return journey. Under my travel policy, delay of checked baggage on return journey is not covered.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,853 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

"Almost all my clothes were in those bags, as well as a laptop ...."

A laptop? Words fail me!

I would suggest the chances of AF paying for a new suit are slim to none. They may cover you for minimal essentials (toiletries, t-shirt, smalls, etc) but not a suit. Will your company cover you (I doubt that too)?

I learned the hard way many years ago and had to buy a new pair of pants (trousers) and a shirt for the next day. No I couldn't claim the costs back, so I just had some more clothes to wear. And, lesson learned ...... I flew into India for business this weekend (not on Air France), and I need my suit for meetings. So I wore it on the plane. And, in case my checked bag didn't make it, I had two business shirts and a tie in my carry on.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 09:21
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

I had two laptops...one I have, the other one is in the checked in baggage. Both are company provided and contain company data.

Toiletries and smalls are fine, I can make do with those. Maybe not a suit then, but I need to have a decent passably formal shirt and trousers ( company's unwritten motto is - your attire reflects who you are ).

Is there generally a fixed amount, or a max till which I'm able to claim? Or does it depend on the amount of time you're willing to spare in haggling and bargaining with the airline claims department, over post?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

>>This was the return journey.<<

So you are now back home with access to the full contents of your own wardrobe. Are you saying you took every single item of smarter clothing that you own on this trip, and have absolutely nothing presentable at home in your wardrobe to wear to work on Monday morning?

Just wondering .....

SWT

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,562 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

SWT---thank you for posting my thoughts

In terms of the laptop. I have more than once seen people with two laptops in their carryon. It is amazing that you would check one. I would be more concerned with the possible loss of company data than I would about my dress.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

Air france will repay all essentials, they probably have a guideline but if france signed up to the Montreal Convention there will be a higher liability. Write and include all your receipts quoting the montreal convention. There are time limits involved with claiming so do some research and write to them soon.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

"I had two laptops...one I have, the other one is in the checked in baggage. Both are company provided and contain company data."

I'm pretty sure this violates your company's policy on securing sensitive data. I hope your laptop did not contain participant/customer data such as SSN's, names, addresses, Dates of birth or any other personal identifying information. And, I hope you reported this to your company before posting it on TA.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air France Delayed baggage essentials claim

This story is very strange (return leg but no clothes at home, laptop in checked luggage, Air France claim not online but snail mail/fax). For me things just do not add up.

This is rather material for Mr. Bean goes to India or ..

Anyway, if you are back home, make the best out and it. Sounds like it is time you buy a new suit.

Never put valuables into your checked luggage. It is not only not a good idea if you want to see it again but also against airline guidelines and regulations.