We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa Economy carry on allowance IST to FRA?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
418 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthansa Economy carry on allowance IST to FRA?

Sorry for such a simple question but my wife and I are mostly United customers and are traveling to Istanbul in January. We are in Business class on UA going over but our return out of IST to FRA is on Lufthansa in Economy, we then get on a UA flight home in Business class. So technically we will begin our return trip as Economy passengers and are subject to those rules

For long haul international flights we typically each take 2 allowable size (for UA at least) carry on items on board. I am a photographer so I always have a camera bag with lenses and bodies and a second bag, usually a small back pack computer bag with a laptop and comfort items. My wife has a purse and a bag with comfort items for the long trip. We aren't talking about big roller boards or that kind of thing. And many of our items are not things that can be checked in luggage safely.

The airline website seems to indicate fairly strict limits on what you can take on board and even weight limits. Does anyone know if this is actually enforced as strictly as the website suggests?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,975 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa Economy carry on allowance IST to FRA?

Lufthansa does enforce its carry on rules yes**, including weighing the bags. Economy pax get one carry on at 8kg, and Business Class pax get two carry ons at 8kg. Check the LH website and see what they say regarding mixed class itineraries. I'm on a mobile right now so can't check it myself.

** - you should be aware that United is now enforcing its carry on rules too. And I've witnessed it - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7001563…

UK
Level Contributor
6,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa Economy carry on allowance IST to FRA?

I don't fly LH a lot... but on the recent occasion when I did people were made to give up extra bags at the gate.

This was a full flight, they may be more lenient on flights that aren't full - but I wouldn't risk it.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,288 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa Economy carry on allowance IST to FRA?

My hubby has been flying with them weekly for the past few weeks and he says they have been strict on the flights he's taken. Economy, one item 8kg max.

Norddeutschland
Level Contributor
306 posts
809 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa Economy carry on allowance IST to FRA?

I can only second the others, LH is strict about carry on rules and if it is too heavy they will most likely force you to check it and the second checked bag is at a cost.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa Economy carry on allowance IST to FRA?

Think coat with big pockets.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa Economy carry on allowance IST to FRA?

Thanks all for the answers. I finally found the exact rules at their website:

" Economy Class passengers are only permitted one piece of hand luggage. A piece of hand luggage may not be larger than 55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm and may not weigh more than 8 kg."

The size is fine for our bags, roughly 21" x 16 x 9". Just need to keep the weight below 17 lbs. And if I have to I will put a lens or camera body in a pocket for the boarding process.

Farther down at their webpage on Carry on it says:

"In addition to your hand baggage and technical appliances you may take the following items into the cabin: One personal piece of hand luggage such as, for example, a woman’s handbag, a laptop case or shoulder bag with a maximum size of 30 cm x 40 cm x 10 cm."

So I will use my laptop bag which is narrow, their measurements translate roughly as 12" x 16" x 4". I'm actually not taking a laptop but a tablet and should be able to fit my headphones and a few other comfort items in there.

And I am not too worried about checking bags on our return on LH as we are both Star Alliance Gold and get 2 bags up to 50 lbs each so we should have room for souvenirs. We usually each have one suitcase going on a trip with a small collapsible one inside that can be filled up for the return.

7. Re: Lufthansa Economy carry on allowance IST to FRA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:16