We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in South East Asia

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling in South East Asia

Hi so I am thinking about traveling around South East Asia next year. Not sure when I am going but I wanted to see how long I would need anyway. This is my iteniary at the moment. I have been to Singapore before so I will just go back and go to the places I enjoyed the most. I might be travelling with someone that hasn't been to Asia at all so just keep that in mind. I like the culture and experiences when travelling; shopping is important too. I'm more of a market shopper; hence why there is so much focus on Thailand this trip. Next trip I was planning to go to Indonesia, Vietnam, Brunei and Loas. But for this trip it will be Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore.

This is not in order. Which order do you think I should do it in? I am traveling from Australia btw.

This is my itinerary:

Thailand

- Chiang Mai (Loy Krathong Festival) (Tiger kingdom at Mae Rim) (7 nights)

- Ayutthaya (2 nights)

- Hua Hin (2 nights)

- Chiang Rai (2 nights)

- Krabi (3 nights)

- Koh Phi Phi (3 nights)

- Koh Lanta (sea gypsies) (1 night)

- Koh Mook (Morakot cave) (1 night)

- Koh Tao (Diving) (1 night)

- Bangkok (7 nights)

29 nights in Thailand.

Cambodia

Places to visit:

- Siem Reap (4 nights)

- Angkor Wat (3 nights)

- Phnom Penh

- The Killing Fields, S21 Prison and Russian Markets

- Battambang

7 nights in Cambodia.

Singapore

Places to Visit:

- Singapore Zoo

- Night Safari

- Signapore Cooking Class

- River Cruise

- Raffles

- Shopping

- Chinatown/Orchard Road

4 nights in Singapore.

Malaysia

Places to Visit:

Borneo (sabah and Sarawak) (3 nights)

Climb Mt Kinabalu (2 nights)

Kuala Lumpur (2 nights)

7 nights in Malaysia.

47 nights in total; so around 6 weeks and 5 nights to visit 4 countries and have a fair bit of experiences while we are there. I was also thinking about $3000AUD each ($64AUD each day) would cover us for everything except flights. Probably flashpacking (not backpacking but not luxury) What do you think?

What are your thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,789 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling in South East Asia

You should post this in each country's related forum. This forum is about air travel.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling in South East Asia

Sorry I'm new to this site and wasn't sure how to.

Apologises

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling in South East Asia

Yes come to Thailand , Cambodia and Malaysia forums and you will get all the info, but I will say in advance you are doing a lot of places and you will spend lots of time with travel, I would go for a far more flexible plan so you can add on days in places you like.

Do mention time of year as weather varies and also accommodation costs can vary a great deal

4. Re: Travelling in South East Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 December 2013, 17:05
London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling in South East Asia

Hmmm. MarkL, are you trying to plug your own book perchance?

Also, a trip report to that region in the 90s may not be that useful for a trip in 2014.

I find the Thorntree much more useful for questions such as this

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling in South East Asia

It might be a plug but it's not a trip report, the book appears to be a fictional book about an older mans relationship with a younger woman. However understand the author has experience of the region.

So not sure it's helpful in this specific topic to be fair,,,might give it a read myself though, it's only shortly:-))

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling in South East Asia

Agree with others you'll get more posting in the country fora, this page is about airlines and such. Anyway some comments:

- the day you are diving you list only one night in that location. I assume you are aware of scuba requirements for 24 hours from your last dive before flying so you may need 2 nights to comply.

- Siem Reap and Angkor Wat are the same so you are double-allocating nights there. (Angkor Wat is the temple complex and Siem Reap is the town where you will be based to explore the temples).

8. Re: Travelling in South East Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:17