We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

United Airlines robbed me of 50,000 frequent flyer miles.

We booked a trip to Seattle and then at the last minute could not go. We called United and they said they could "hold" the tickets for one year. Well that sounded good. What they failed to disclose (other than in the extremely FINE print) was that it was one year from the date of booking, not from the flight dates.

Who would think that would be the case? One year from the flight is in my opinion what most people would think. So we called several weeks ahead of when we thought the tickets would expire to try to re-book a trip, and United smugly said the tickets were cancelled, and have a nice freaking day!

Upon filing an online complaint I got a patronizing email with the above dates highlighted in yellow, a pat on the head and was basically called an idiot. Well forget United. I will never fly with them again, and I will tell everybody I know to beware of hidden rules and ridiculous policies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

What did you read the terms and conditions on? Just curious as the days of "fine print " are long gone for most of us.

I think they are being patronising because it's fairly obvious you did not read the terms and conditions, no matter how scathing you are about the apparent font size. The fault is yours, you made a mistake, you did not read the terms and conditions and you were not robbed,

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

"What they failed to disclose (other than in the extremely FINE print) was that it was one year from the date of booking, not from the flight dates...........I will never fly with them again, and I will tell everybody I know to beware of hidden rules and ridiculous policies."

Regardless of whether the policies are ridiculous or not the rules by your own admission were disclosed although you might not have read them in full.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

"What they failed to disclose (other than in the extremely FINE print)"

So they did, in fact, disclose it. You just didn't read it.

-JimG

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,233 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

Yes, It is quite annoying! I hate it when I am don't find out all the rules and then mess up!!

All airlines have rules. Be careful to read the new ones when you switch airlines.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

Yep ! I think 1 - 4 just about cover it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

What they failed to disclose (other than in the extremely FINE print) was that it was one year from the date of booking, not from the flight dates.

Who would think that would be the case?

Me, possibly. I'd have certainly asked which date it applies to!

Why didn't you just get the miles deposited back into your Mileage Plus account?

Level Contributor
3,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

So what you are saying is you will never fly with an airline who does what their contract with you says?

Curious.

Would you rather they disregard contractual obligations and just do random stuff instead?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

Yes, that pesky fine print will get you every time. UA didn't rob you; accept responsibility for your own error. OP - sorry but this is your fault.

When you first chose these flights, you accepted the Rules and Restrictions associated with them. They clearly state:

NOTE -

CERTIFICATES/TICKETS ARE VALID FOR ONE YEAR

FROM THE DATE THE REWARD IS ISSUED.

ALL TRAVEL MUST BE COMPLETED BY THE

EXPIRATION DATE NOTED ON THE REWARD

CERTIFICATE/TICKET

Sad, but companies expect us to act like grownups and take responsibility for ourselves.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 20:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

Personally I would like to see this " fine print" maybe the op could post.a link? Just how fine is " extremely fine"? That's important. How small was that font?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,741 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of the Fine Print at United Airlines!

Surely the title of this thread should refer to every airline - indeed, every transaction you ever make?