We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Passport from US to Thailand

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Topic
UK Passport from US to Thailand

I have a British and US passport and am traveling to Thailand at the end of December, 2013. I recently noticed that my US passport expires in June 2014 and Thailand has a six month rule for expiration on passports when entering the country. Not wanting to pay to have my passport expedited, I'm wondering if there is anything stopping me from leaving the US on my American passport, showing my British passport when entering and leaving Thailand, and then showing my US passport when I return to the US. Or leave the US on my British passport, enter and leave Thailand on my British passport, and then re-enter the US on my US passport. I do not need a visa because I am only going for two weeks but I do need to know about the passport dilemma! Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK Passport from US to Thailand

In your position I'd leave on the UK ( eg put your uk passport details on the API ) in case the airline doesn't let you board because your US passport is due to expire in less than 6 months and they think you won't be able to enter Thailand.

Then when entering the US, use your US passport.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,517 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK Passport from US to Thailand

You should have no problem with your US passport as you will be entering on the 30 day Visa Waver Programme which gives you exemption for upto 30 days. The problem would be if you were to overstay your 30 days and needed to apply for an extension. Then the 6 month rule would be enforced.

Alternatively you could use your UK passport which has the same 30 day waver but in either case you are usually required to fill in the details of your passport with the airline as part of its Advance Passenger Information procedure. Entering the US one then changing on arrival to your UK one may prove problematic.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 06:25
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,298 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK Passport from US to Thailand

Assuming your travel plans meet the terms of Thailand's tourist visa exemption program, there is nothing in Timatic (the IATA system used by the airlines to check for entry clearance) to say that your passport must be valid for six months; it states "Nationals of USA must hold passports and/or passport replacing documents valid for the period of intended stay."

If you do choose to travel on your UK passport, then enter that passport's information into the airline's reservation system for your outbound flight, but enter your US passport information for the return flight (as you'd hit an ESTA issue if traveling to the US on a UK passport).

Make sure you have a confirmed onward or return air ticket out of Thailand within the 30 day window as the airlines in the US check for that as proof of onward travel.

From Timatic ---

----------

/ 05DEC13 / 0657 UTC

National USA (US) Embarkation USA (US) Destination Thailand (TH)

Thailand (TH)

Passport required.

- Nationals of USA must hold passports and/or passport replacing documents valid for the period of intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days:

- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

----------

Edited: 05 December 2013, 07:06
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK Passport from US to Thailand

There is no passport control leaving the USA.Just check in for your flight to BKK with your British passport,use that for entry to Thailand.

Show your US passport for check in in BKK and use your British passport to leave Thailand.There will be no problem.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,517 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK Passport from US to Thailand

If you use your US passport for check in on arrival at BKK it will have a Visa Waver stamp put in it and the departure part of the Immigration card completed prior to Immigration stapled into the passport until you leave. Will there not be a problem at Immigration presenting a UK passport which has no waver stamp or departure card in it?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,298 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK Passport from US to Thailand

Arandora,

1) For Thai immigration purposes - both entry and exit formalities - you use the SAME passport for both.

2) For airline check in purposes, you provide the passport you intend to use to enter the destination country.

The airline is concerned about the entry clearance for the destination country. At BKK they will check for eligibility to enter the USA. If the airline also wants to see your entry stamp and departure card you can show them that in the other passport.

In the OP's case this is moot, as the US passport will be valid for entry under the visa waiver program anyway (both to and from the Kingdom).

Edited: 05 December 2013, 08:21
San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: UK Passport from US to Thailand

I called the US passport office and they said that even under the visa waiver program, staying for less than 30 days in Thailand with a US passport, the 6 month validity rule still stands. Regardless of whether a visa is needed or not, in order to enter Thailand, you must have a passport that is valid for 6 months after the date of entry.

So, I either need to update my passport or find a loop whole in the entering or exiting of Thailand and the US with a US and British passport. I know it is illegal for US citizens to enter the US with any other passport aside from their US passport. It is also technically illegal to be traveling with two passports, so I can only safely show and acknowledge carrying one at any time.

UK
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK Passport from US to Thailand

"I called the US passport office and they said that even under the visa waiver program, staying for less than 30 days in Thailand with a US passport, the 6 month validity rule still stands"

Why would you call the US passport office for information about Thailand? You should call the Thai authorities, not the US authorities. They don't always have all the information about the 200+ other countries in the world, and have in fact been known to publish incorrect/out of date information on their web site.

I've read elsewhere that Thailand has only recently departed from the old six months rule, and whoever you spoke to at the US passport office may simply have been giving you old rules, from memory.

Someone else has given you the correct information from Timatic - you don't need six months.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 06:59
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK Passport from US to Thailand

<<< I've read elsewhere that Thailand has only recently departed from the old six months rule>>>

I don't know where you read that, all the Thai embassy sites I've just looked at still stipuate a 6 month validity requirement.

Cheers.

10. Re: UK Passport from US to Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 06:18