We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
957 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

I am in the midst of organising flights from Australia to Copenhagen with a returning flight from Paris to Aus. I am planning on booking via Qantas as we are Qantas club members. The flights we will take will have QF flight numbers but the flights are all operated by Emirates.

My question is in regards to seat selection. We would prefer to book our actual seats at the time of ticketing (and not wait until online checkin) and would like to know if it is possible to do seat selection on the Emirates site and how to go about it. We will have a Qantas booking reference number, which I know will not work on the Emirates site.

Is it simply a matter of contacting Qantas and getting a PRN to use on the Emirate site? I've tried googling for an answer but ended up confusing myself!

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Luton, UK
Level Contributor
345 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

Hi

I fly to Sydney next week with Qantas. The first leg to Dubai is with Qantas, the remaining leg and return flights are with Emirates. I pre-booked my Qantas leg seats on line, and was then able to pre-book all of my Emirates seats (at no charge!) at the same time via the Qantas website.

Hope this helps

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
495 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

Earlier this year we pre booked all our seats through the Manage my Bookings section of the Qantas site, although some of our flights were with Emirates. We had booked through Qantas. We did have to pay for the pre booking, just $25 per seat on the Qantas flights (and worth every penny to get what we wanted)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,048 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

This has been discussed several times both on this forum and on Dubai forum.

If you put Emirates Qantas into the search box you will see previous posts - here are two I found:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k62451…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g295424-i872-k64…

Townsville...
Level Contributor
957 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

Thank you Stew2205 and scliffy. Good to know I should be able to do it all on the Qantas site.

bronia, I did do a search before asking my question. I do try not to ask questions that have already been asked and answered. The two threads you referred me to are from people trying to book their Qantas seats when they have booked their flights through Emirates. That is the opposite of what I am asking about.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

My seats didn't lock in from Qantas MMB. However, I could use also the Emirates MMB (it accepted the QF ref initially from memory) then got the EK ref which solved the seat allocation problem I was having. Be early at checkin and ask for an exit row (no cost).

Edited: 05 December 2013, 22:43
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,048 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

Apologies Dimarie40 - I wasn't criticizing you at all and thought the links might be helpful - obviously not.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
957 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

No problem bronia. I always try to do some research before asking questions. Your help is appreciated.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
973 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

I've bought via Qantas a round trip FRA (Frankfurt)-DXB-SYD-PER-DXB-FRA. The legs FRA-DXB-SYD have QF numbers but are operated by Emirates (code share); the leg SYD-PER is a pure QF flight; the leg PER-DXB has again a QF number but is a code share EK flight; and the leg DXB-FRA is a pure EK flight. Thus, it's about the same pattern as yours.

All seats for all legs have been pre-booked via Qantas and appear on my Qantas MMB, but the code share QF-EF flights do not appear on my EK MMB (they show as "check-in required"), only the only pure EK flight appears on my EK MMB. This is normal and happened to me already before. BTW, by buying this round trip via Qantas, I saved 500 EUR pp (in business class) as against the very same trip if bought via Emirates!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
957 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

Just an update for anyone interested.

I went ahead and booked our flights via Qantas today. All our international legs are QF flight numbers but are actually on Emirates metal. After purchasing I was able to go into MMB on the Qantas site and select our seats. All free of charge. The only thing is 3 of the flights are on A380's which has no paired seating so have taken a risk and booked window and aisle seats and hope, perhaps on at least one flight, we might get lucky and have no-one select the middle seat. If they do we will just offer them the window seat and sit in middle and aisle.

I will keep an eye on the flight sover the next few months in case anything changes over time.

10. Re: Seat Selection when booking Emirates flights through Qantas.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 11:45