We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United timings - how can this be possible?

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
United timings - how can this be possible?

I contacted United in order to make a booking from UK to HNL next year.

The agent who I spoke to offered me the following flights.

UA 76 departing BFS at 11.10 and arriving in EWR at 13.35.

UA 1600 departing EWR at 15.00 and arriving in LAX at 17.54.

UA 1584 departing LAX at 19.00 and arriving in HNL at 21.45

I asked the agent if this was sufficient time at EWR to clear immigration and collect luggage, and she told me that United would not offer these flights if there was not sufficient time between flights.

Now I have flown before from LHR to SFO and as my wife holds a USA passport, I would normally go through immigration with her which tends to be quicker than the visitors queues.

Does anyone know is the united agent right in what she has told me, and secondly, if we miss the connection, what are United expected to do for us.

I have not purchased tickets yet, as I want to see what TA experts tell me.

Thanks.

John.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: United timings - how can this be possible?

DUB-HNL is showing £788 with an overall travelling time of 23hrs 40mins OR slightly more £795 an over night in SFO which as OP2002& USBT mentioned would be my preferred choice

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: United timings - how can this be possible?

just looked at the AA schedule from DUB-ORD-LAX-HNL with good connection times and price is £795 but the plus point is they arrive on the same day, if for any reason there is a snafu at either ORD or LAX there are back up flights leaving approximately 1hr later to get you on your way subject to available seats

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
40,208 posts
1,214 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: United timings - how can this be possible?

OP2002,

Your LHR to LAX is a good suggestion, and one that we have done several times. We also like LHR - SFO, and actually prefer that route, as we find SFO to be a better US Entry Point for us. Those would be my too recs. for such a flight, and both LAX and SFO (on UA) have plenty of HNL flights to choose from. We do both LAX and SFO to HNL, a couple of times per year, and base our choice on the exact ships being flown, at a time that is convenient to us.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
40,208 posts
1,214 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: United timings - how can this be possible?

USBusinessTraveler,

You mirror my feelings. Even with GOES and US Passports, we will never cut int'l. connections closer than 2.5 hrs., and shoot for 3.5, just to be safe. We find little worse than stressing about connection times, or running through an airport, after a Trans-Atlantic flight.

We have also found that *usually* SFO is one of the most efficient UA hubs, for both Immigrations and Customs, plus re-checking luggage. LAX is good, but never quite as good (for us), as SFO.

Over the last two decades, our departure/arrival to/from LHR have been mostly through SFO, with LAX in second place. Worst-case has been time for a glass of "premium wine" at the UA club.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: United timings - how can this be possible?

Thank you to everyone who replied so promptly to my reply. We have decided to fly Dublin to HNL via EWR and SFO. and return to Belfast via SFO and EWR.

Can anyone explain to me what the pre clearance involves in Dublin, and what happens when we arrive in EWR and SFO?

Thank you.

John.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: United timings - how can this be possible?

Good choice... Preclearance is a simple customs declaration form, security and a few questions from the immigration officer. It's a breeze. You will arrive at EWR as a domestic passenger so no long queues for immigration on arrival.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 13:10
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: United timings - how can this be possible?

Since you'll be arriving as a domestic passenger you should just have to walk to your next gate.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: United timings - how can this be possible?

In both EWR and SFO you'd be arriving as a domestic flight so bags are automatically transferred for you and you just walk between gates.

UA uses a couple terminals at EWR so "walking" between gates possibly could mean a bus ride but it is behind security so still easy. The old UA flights use TA while TC is the old Continental terminal. Both now are United.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 13:48
Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: United timings - how can this be possible?

There is a link on the Dublin Airport website which explains the whole Customs and Border Protection pre-clearance procedure

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: United timings - how can this be possible?

I would not book that original flight, even if I was a US citizen. Luggage return time and security clearance will eat away most of that time. I fly through Immigration and Customs as I tend to travel bagless and have Global Entry and it still takes me 30-40 minutes to clear through to the next gate.

Pre-clear through one of the Irish airports is a good idea, as is checking times via Chicago and Houston which also have direct flights to Hawaii.