We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa mileage credit for Turkish flights

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthansa mileage credit for Turkish flights

Got an email yesterday from LH.....as from 01/01/2014 Miles & More will be giving just 25% of award miles as 'status miles' so one can spend big money on a full business class long haul ticket and get 20,000+ award miles but only 5,000 or so will count to your status. How can they do this to flights already booked and paid for? Why are they doing it anyway......what about consistency within Star Alliance? Seems grossly unfair....anybody else out there picked up on this?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,298 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa mileage credit for Turkish flights

KhunBill,

"How can they do this to flights already booked and paid for?"

The answer is because they can. I agree it's unfair especially for EQMs/tier points. But this is not unique to Lufthansa. Delta did exactly the same this past summer for most SkyTeam partners, including flights on Korean that went from 100% accrual to ZERO!!!

I have to say if Lufty is cutting the EQM rate for TK looks like a sign of strained relations between the two airlines. In the other above example, Delta and Korean are barely on speaking terms and are cutting each other out of code shares as well.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 18:09
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa mileage credit for Turkish flights

You are probably correct about strained relations because Turkish, as they expand so rapidly, will doubtless be eating significantly into LH's market share, particularly in business class where the Turkish product within Europe and also long haul is vastly superior yet cheaper than the pathetic product offered by the LH group, Lufthansa itself in particular. So much for their 'Alliance'.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,298 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa mileage credit for Turkish flights

Bill,

"You are probably correct about strained relations ...." ==>>> Yup, here you go - …yahoo.com/lufthansa-ditches-code-sharing-tu…

It's a unilateral move by Lufthansa, who is canceling the code share agreement with Turkish. I read somewhere about six months ago that they (LH) were looking to expand the code share to a joint venture as they are bleeding money on the Asia routes, especially South Asia. Turkish must have said no. That would mirror somewhat what happened between DL and KE is Skyteam. DL wanted a JV to counter UA/NH and AA/JL.

" So much for their 'Alliance'." ===>>> I'm not entirely surprised to see cracks opening up in Star, just like the others. I personally benefit from Star (being a United FF) but I've always had the feeling it grew too big and too arbitrarily. Plus, IMO its founder members have become complacent in that they can just rely on Star as it's the biggest alliance. Well this spat indicates that one of them is now discovering the consequences of that .... well actually two as SAS is a founder and in deep financial trouble.

4. Re: Lufthansa mileage credit for Turkish flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 05:18