We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Oh help! I am meant to be flying from Brisbane to Botswana in 10 days with my husband and kids and I have a huge problem.

I am an Australian citizen but i have lost my citizenship certificate and i do not have an Australian passport, only a British one.

I applied for a proof of citizenship certificate last week, however i am worried it will not be accepted as i cannot find proof of my birth name (i was adopted and included my adoption certificate in the proof of identity - it just does not have my original name on!). I only got Australian citizenship 2 and a half years ago and all I can think is that I left the certificate in my home printer that got thrown away about a year ago.

I naively thought I could use my British passport on this trip. You see, I used it a few years back but at that time I had a permanent resident visa which ceased as soon as i got citizenship.

The department of immigration say that I should be able to leave the country but will have trouble getting back in again. However 'should be able to' is very unnerving, and I am not convinced. The lady is spoke to actually sounded a little unsure herself.

My children and husband all have Australian passports so they are all ok. We are meant to be meeting family in Botswana and to be honest this is a complete and utter nightmare.

Does anyone know for definite if I will be allowed to fly out on the British passport? Perhaps i could then have the australian passport posted to Botswana. Mind you, this is assuming i get the proof of citizenship certificate on time.

What on earth should I do?

Any advice appreciated, Claire

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Claire, I understand your predicament, but coming on to TripAdvisor is unlikely to assist you.

You will more than likely get around ten replies, ten opinions and ten pieces of advise - just to confuse you further. That's from various people dotted around the world.

You have spoken to the department of migration for advice and it's their advice you need take.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Call Immigration back and see if the next person you talk to can help clarify things for you.

Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Just in a real panic! But yes, I see what you mean.

Thank you. Claire

Edited: 07 December 2013, 08:31
Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Ok, will phone immigration on Monday- tempted to fly to Paramatta itself (which is where I have posted all my blurb to) very stressful stuff.

Cheers

Edited: 07 December 2013, 08:35
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Does anyone know for definite if I will be allowed to fly out on the British passport? Perhaps i could then have the australian passport posted to Botswana.

--------

Well of course you can leave the country on a British passport. Otherwise british people would be stuck there and gradually Australia would fill up.

There is no way I'd have a passport posted to Botswana. You might just have to be prepared for a lot of hassle going back in but surely this won't be the first time someone lost their papers whilst travelling. You just did it before travelling. Do they do same day renewal or passport issuance you could use?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

You can also try to go to the immigration in person instead of just calling them.

They might want to see your British passport and check the information in their system. Somethings are done better if you are face to fact than on the phone.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Ran out of edit time , realised your issue isn't leaving, or even entering Oz at immigration, it's getting on the flight back, with only a British passport and no visa for Oz they probably won't let you even board the plane back. So I would get it sorted before you leave or it could be a nightmare you could be stuck at some intermediate point between Botswana and Oz.

Check if you can get it sorted beforehand, if you can't, change all tickets for a later date, or you stay at home while everyone else goes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

I'm a little bit lost claire. You say you don't have an australian passport and your British once ceased to be valid.

You have lost your proof of citizenship. You have applied for a new one. Do you not then need to apply for an australian passport to travel or have you applied for the passport at the same time as the proof of citizenship certificate? Can you travel on just a proof of citizenship,,,the australian passport office say they require the certificate for the passport application.

Either way, i would certainly not leave the country without a valid passport to get back in.

Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Yes, I was just going through that with my husband. You're quite right, it will be getting back in again that's the problem, won't it.

I will definitely try to talk to someone in person.

Ok, going to go and drown my sorrows - this is a lot of stress - I am letting my family down.

Thanks for the advice, Claire

Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Ok, will phone immigration on Monday- tempted to fly to Paramatta itself (which is where I have posted all my blurb to) very stressful stuff.

Cheers

Edited: 07 December 2013, 09:27