We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight change makes trip impossible!

Papaikou, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Flight change makes trip impossible!

Our family of four booked our trip 7 months in advance via Orbitz.

American Airlines cancelled one of the flights on our Orbitz itinerary and put us on a new one which has a layover of less than 20 minutes...it is in a different terminal on the far side of the airport too! Given the size of the plane weʻre arriving on I doubt we will even get off the plane before the next one takes off.

All the other American Airline flights are booked solid and Orbitz refuses to move us to a different airline. What can we do?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flight change makes trip impossible!

"Someone here a year or two back had one through Cheapoair with an ultra tight LHR - LGW connection using Flybe which wasn't a connection."

Joe, if you're referring to the Ohio student who flew to Newquay, that Cheapo schedule did turn out to be on one ticket. The guy messed up big time, skipped the Flybe leg to Newquay (took a train from Paddington instead) and then turned up at NQY for the return portion to LGW. He told us that the Flybe agent at NQY disappeared for half an hour, and reinstated all the segments, the Flybe return to Gatwick and the United from LHR-ORD. That agent (who saved his bacon big time) wouldn't have given two hoots about the United flights had they not been on the same ticket.

That saga played out on the London forum, and the guy ignored multiple pleas from some of us (including Adamhornets and TP) to not take the train until he'd checked that the flights were or weren't on separate tickets. He got very lucky that the Flybe agent at NQY helped him out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flight change makes trip impossible!

Don't think it's ever sold as " one ticket" in the sense we mean, just sometimes a cobble of flights to make it cheaper. Sometimes people assume it's one ticket because it's one booking with an agency, when in reality it's two separate flights. You see it on here in particular when a given leg is on a point to point low cost carrier.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,145 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flight change makes trip impossible!

But can you book such itineraries with 3rd party booking sites? I've never seen one myself but if you can find a trip on one of those sites that involves a connection between, say Ryanair or easyJet and a traditional airline like BA or LH I'd be interested to see it, or really just any connection between airlines that we know couldn't be booked under one ticket-number. Aside from some companies booking two one-ways and selling it as a return ticket I don't think they exist.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 15:39
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flight change makes trip impossible!

I understand that Froggy.

In my case I was talking directly with my (corporate) travel agent and I was fully aware there were separate tickets involved - and with several days between each flight that wasn't a problem for me.

It was a surprise to see all the flights show up on my United PNR. The e-ticket receipt from my agent clearly stated the flights were on separate tickets. Two ticket numbers with fares for each.

It's just a note (FYI) that you can't 100% of the time guarantee that all flights showing on an airline's "Manage My Booking" reservation are on the same ticket.

That said, usually, if booking online with a reputable agent such as Orbtiz, I'd expect all flights on the same booking to be on the sane ticket. If two separate bookings were made (including two bookings made at the sane time by phone) you could end up with separate tickets. In which case you need to understand the pitfalls.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 15:49
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flight change makes trip impossible!

Agree and it's a valid point re the what you can see..

Lex, to be honest I don't use these sites and I don't travel on separate tickets, but would expect the pax to know it was separate tickets,,,I would think this is one ticket as it's reputable company, but still worth checking. I would think it does happen, lots of less than reputable companies out there and, sometimes, pax cobble together their own itineraries and don't really understand the implications of doing sp ( not this time).

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Flight change makes trip impossible!

All flights can be booked in the same PNR as long as the airlines involved use the same GDS as the agency doing the booking. The PNR code (if booked through a GDS system) is generated by the GDS, not the airline. The confusion arises because the GDS systems were originally started by the airlines, therefore the codes look and are identical to the airline that started the system (AA and Sabre for example, since AA was the original owner of Sabre).

I've worked CS for Orbitz and even though the flights may be cobbled together to get a lower price, all the airlines in one Orbitz PNR will have interline agreements as they need to be ticketed using a plate accepted by all the airlines in the itinerary. There are times the flights may not appear on some of the airlines websites (AA and DL for example) since they do not work in the same GDS and one system may not be able to pick up the fligjhts booked in a different system. However, even though AA and DL are not partner airlines, they do have interline agreements and do work with each other on combined itineraries.

If, as noted by some, the airlines do not have Interline agreeents, such as a mainline carrier and a LCC, these might be on the same Orbitz generated PNR, but you would have separate ticket numbers. As mentioned earlier, if the airlines can not be ticketed using plates that are accepted by every airline in the itinerary, you can not issue the itinerary as one ticket.

The biggest issue with Orbitz is that much of their reservations and CS has been outsourced outside the US and (as we all know) this can and does cause confusion, language issues and perception issues (IE what's considered a 4 star hotel in the US may not be the same as a 4 star hotel in Europe, Asia, etc.). However, if you're polite, persistent and do a bit of agent shopping (IE: if you get an agent that can't or won't assist, politely say thank you, hang up and redia, you'll most probably get a different agent), you should get a solution that's acceptable to all concerned. Just don't be asking for solutions you know you'll never get.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 16:58
17. Re: Flight change makes trip impossible!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:18