We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin or Delta to New York

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin or Delta to New York

Could you please advise which airline is best to fly to JFK. My travel agent has mentioned that Virgin are not very good at the moment and he has flown with Delta which he thinks are better.

Many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin or Delta to New York

What is your definition of "best" ?

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin or Delta to New York

Leg room, age of aircraft, service, entertainment etc....

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,879 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin or Delta to New York

In my view there is not a great of difference in Economy and I would go with whatever airline offers the better option in terms of schedule/price but there are other options such as BA or AA to consider as well.

All will be broadly comparable in terms of legroom, age of aircraft and IFE with in flight service being down to the luck of the draw in terms of the crew on duty on the day of the flight - personally I'd favour BA, subject to price.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin or Delta to New York

If it was me I'd fly BA :-)

Haven't flown Delta from what I've heard they are no different to any other American carrier, ie fairly average, Virgin can be a lottery depends if you get a new plane or one of the old ones which are pretty tatty inside with seat back entertainment that by all accounts fails frequently but id expect the new stuff to be shiny and good. Virgin food is always complained about though.

You can look on the airline quality website and check out recent reviews.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,007 posts
1,794 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin or Delta to New York

I would go on price. I have been to NYC with Delta last year and they were good enough.

I went to Orlando with Virgin a few years ago and they were not as good as past years with older planes although they have supposedly upgraded since then but Virgin have relied on a past reputation and other airlines have surpassed them since.

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin or Delta to New York

Thank you for your comments - much appreciated

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin or Delta to New York

Like some of the people above, I would vote for BA.

Be aware that Virgin and Delta codeshare on LHR-JFK and LHR-EWR, so if you book with one, you may end up flying the other.

Out of the two, I'd go for Virgin - you'll end up on an A330 or 747. I'd prefer either of these to the 767s tat Delta operate. You also benefit from EU261 on the return leg if your flight is delayed.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin or Delta to New York

Flying to JFK from where?

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin or Delta to New York

Given the OPs location, and the fact that the only airport that both Virgin and Delta operate flights to JFK is from Heathrow, I would assume there

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin or Delta to New York

Virgin and Delta are much of a muchness. I have flown with both a couple of times recently and had better service with Delta but in terms of planes, legroom, IFE etc there's not a huge amount in it. One good thing with delta is they have the Economy Comfort product which you can get for approximately $99 for a single flight. It gives you a bit of extra leg room, and isn't as expensive as Virgin's PE. Also they give you bigger cups to drink from, rather than those crap tiny things that hold those mini cans Virgin has. In the grand scheme of things though, there's not much in it.