We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

PA
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

For frequent flyers: any thoughts on which airport has best record for 'on time' departures?

We have choice of 3 airports for connecting flight (with 40 minute layover) for trip in MAY:

Chicago - Midway

Denver

Phoenix

Which airport would be your pick to connect through??

(I realize anything can happen, any where, any time as far as delays go!)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,630 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

Are both flights on the same airline?

Is your destination in the USA?

I ask because if you had to change terminals then 40mn. is not really enough time at any airport. I'd also want to know if there are other flights later in the day at each of the airports in case the first flight is late at least there would be the possibility of being put on the later flight.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,974 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

Riff M's points are valid. If DEN is UA-UA, MDW is SW-SW, and PHX is US-US, then I'm not sure there's a difference with 40 minutes at either. I think MDW is the smaller of the 3 airports. But, I'd also want to know my options if I missed the connection and needed to be accomodated on a later flight. Last point: On time numbers really don't mean a thing. What means something is what will happen on "your" flights, not historical averages.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

"Which airport would be your pick to connect through??" - Equally important is your original departure airport as a significant number of delays start at the departure point.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,918 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

Of those 3 I'd say Phoenix because it has by far the best weather of the three. But as the others said, depends which airline you are using and starting city. Would not use Phoenix if changing airlines.

PA
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

Flights on same airline: Southwest. Originating in Pittsburgh... destination is Salt Lake City. Thanks for any & all input. Couple flights originate early AM (before 9).

THANKS for any & all advice / input.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,974 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

If all routings are SW and all being equal with back-up flights in case of a missed connection; then I'd probably pick MDW first, then DEN. Heading to PHX on a 4+ hour flight, and then back up to SLC, just seems out of the way to me. I'd try to break it up. I've lived in Pittsburgh and flown PIT-PHX on US many times.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
221 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

MDW is easy connection with southwest, not saying they will but i have seen them multiple times hold flight for tight connections.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

As a person that flies out of PIT weekly, I highly suggest that you look at other options. In no way would I ever recommend a 40-min connection anywhere. Sure it's a "legal" connection, but that doesn't mean it's possible. Why cause yourself the headaches? If it were me, I'd only look at connections greater than 60 min.

That being said if I had to pick one of these terrible connections, I would pick PHX hands down.

1. I've taken the PIT -> PHX flight on US air and it's not uncommon for it to get in 10 min early.

2. Less risk of bad weather/ATC delays (I have been stranded in DEN a few times due to snow in May and airspace around Chicago is often a problem).

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

Southwest's business model is tight connections. They do it all the time and they do it well. With them I would not be concerned. With any other airline I would not even attempt it.

PA
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which U.S. Airport best for connecting flight on time??

Southwest has NO connection time of an hour or more! But if we do fly thru PX, it is an extra 10 minutes compared to Denver or Chicago (50 v. 40) and there are multiple flights later in day... so leaning toward PX even tho it is longer in air time.

Thanks for input!