We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Milan, Italy
5 posts
Save Topic
Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

I am wondering. When I buy a ticket through a travel agency, does the travel agency bill me first and then pay the airline directly with their own funds?

A family member has agreed to lend me money to get back home and their last name is different than mine since they are on my mother's side of the family. They are planning to use their credit card however Air France has strict rules. If the family members book's through a travel agency, will I have any trouble when checking in at the airport?

***Can I purchase an e-ticket for someone else?***

Due to increased credit card fraud problems, Air France does not accept third party payments (the credit card holder not being the passenger or part of the group traveling together). Exception: We allow payments for family members with the same surname. Please make sure the family member you book for brings the personal identifier you specified during booking to check in at the airport (this applies to e-tickets only).

Edited: 14 December 2013, 21:54
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

Just use a real existing travel agent (human being not website), explain him this and there will be no problem.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

So what's the correct answer? Most agencies do use the passenger's card or most don't? Does it vary by country or something?

London
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

Use e-bookers, there is a section on it that says if you are paying but not traveling. Have done it for the wife no problem

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

Most agencies verify the card and then use it to make the payment. This applies to scheduled airlines. I've never worked with charters so can't vouch for their procedures.

London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

Travel agencies have an arrangement topay the airlines in bulk via IATA (as stated by jagjetfly) but not through your credit card. You may have the same issue with many other airlines and travel agents too.

Milan, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

"Just use a real existing travel agent (human being not website), explain him this and there will be no problem."

Going on skyscanner website, searching for the flight and then being transferred to their website, tui.it, the price is 70 euros or 100 canadian less. 480 euro(700 canadian) instead of 550 euro(800 canadian) if I would search on tui.it directly or book directly in person or phone.

I emailed the agency. They told me that it doesn't matter who's the passenger and whose name is on the credit card. They assured me that the credit card will not be asked by the airline at the check-in. I then asked them if they bill the credit card or if the airline bills the credit card, they gave me a vague response. They said that everything runs through them, which is not what I asked.

Would be excellent if there was transparency in the procedures between these agency's and airlines.

Anyways, thanks for the advice and I remain doubtful.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

I'm a travel agent and we always use the client's card to pay for the trip (or whoever is paying), we don't pay via IATA or BSP unless the client pays by cheque or cash, but by cc ran through by the airline. However, have never had a problem with someone else paying and another traveling, but maybe that's because we are ticketing it as an agency?

18. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 05:18