We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

inverness
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

Flying with Jet2 from Glasgow to Alicante on an early morning flight. We are staying the night before at an airport hotel.

We have already checked in on line but have two suitcases to drop off. Want to spend as long as possible in bed,so how long before flight should we arrive at the airport.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

>>> Autism is a disability. Transport providers are supposed to make adequate provisions for those with disabilities - and this includes those with "less visible" disabilities such as autism. <<<

To a point, but they can only do that with with prior warning and a specific request for assistance surely ?

Due to a disabilty , I have had to arrange for assistance at an airport prior to getting there, and received excellent service. I wouldn't even think of turning up unannounced at the last minute and expect to jump the queues for any reason, let alone for wanting to spend as long as possible in bed.

The facilities and help are available to the genuinely disabled, but please don't abuse them.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,926 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

Thebrushinverness,

Given your situation with your son, if he doesn't handle queues very well then get there early. Call the airline beforehand and ask if they can help (nothing ventured nothing gained) and if that's not successful you can always ask (POLITELY) at checkin/bag drop for any assistance (expect the answer "no" and be delighted and grateful if they say yes). They may be able to provide assistance with other queues**.

** (not Jet2 but) When once checking in my now late father (who was very slow on his feet at the time) the airline gave him and my mother a fasttrack pass for security and a special pass to me (not traveling) to accompany him and my mother through security to the gate. Sometimes the airlines do come good on that.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 07:09
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,345 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

the bag drop for Jet2 in Glasgow does open 3 hours before the flights if that is any help to you

UK
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

In case this wasn't clear in my earlier post, when I said "contact the airline" I did mean "contact them beforehand". They will put a note in the booking, and will make sure appropriate arrangements are in place on the day.

inverness
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

I will do that aviatrix.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

As I travel by wheelchair I've experienced some "assistance" and it varies. Best was IGI, New Delhi, though Narita was excellent as was LHR T3 one one flight - LHR T3 was also the poorest on another flight....

What can be arranged wil vary if the disability varies from needing a wheelchair or guide. It depends not on the airline, but the airport and local laws - you book assistance through the airline, be it's provided by the airPORT and its contractors.

Come to think of it, best assistance I've had was actually with LNER and the connections, London Kings X to Hexham, where you basically were helped from the first staff member you met at Kings X to the station master who helped me at Hexham! That was in the days when I could manage on crutches, but the help I registered for and received was excellent.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,679 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

When we flew out of Gatwick North in September we noticed an area near Duty Free where there was a TV and some seats, we thought that was a great idea (Singapore Airport has lots of little seating areas and TVs for people to watch whilst waiting for a flight). However, it turned out to be the place where people who need assistance need to go. There is a dedicated desk where you show your confirmation that you need assistance and they then bring the wheelchairs (if needed) or the little electric carts to the area to pick people up. It all seemed to run very smoothly, luckily I don't need assistance but its good to know that a good system is in place there for those who do. I assume its the same at the South terminal.

inverness
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

We have found the allocated seating on planes is a godsend. In the days when there was a stampede to get on the plane, we used a medical letter and got boarded after speedy boarders along with those with disabilities, now we just sit in sight of the gate and join on towards the end of the boarding line, as no worries about not getting seats together and limited time standing in queues.

29. Re: What time is the latest I can safely arrive at the airport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 05:18