We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to cancel the trip

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
When to cancel the trip

I have a medical condition which prevents me to take the trip. Should I notify insurance immediately or should I wait till the departure date?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to cancel the trip

Immediately.

London, United...
Level Contributor
765 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to cancel the trip

What Leyland said.

Check what your excess is too.

England, United...
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to cancel the trip

Did you declare your medical condition when you bought the insurance?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to cancel the trip

I really don't understand the question: Is there more to it? Why is there even a question as when to notify the insurance company? Do you think you'll get better and be able to make the trip? Chuck.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to cancel the trip

Do it as soon as you know you cannot go. Also check youtr policy for details... good luck!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to cancel the trip

Why is there even a question as when to notify the insurance company? Do you think you'll get better and be able to make the trip?

======

I suspect the OP thinks the insurance company might say "well perhaps you cant go now but what about in a weeks time?"

And so it would depend exactly what the illness/condition is and when the flight is. I would say rather than either "now" or "on the day" you should let them know at the point you are certain you would not be able to go. That might be now, it might be later, depends upon multiple factors.

If you have a doctors note that says "Mr X is not fit to fly on date Z" then do it now.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to cancel the trip

Some insurance policies require some sort of doctor's assessment within some kind of time frame, like 24 hours, to be eligible for coverage. eg Any expenses prior to the doctor's assessment is not eligible for coverage, etc.

I had to cut a trip early by a day because of food poisoning, but since there was no assessment by a medical facility, insurance covered nothing.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 00:05
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,687 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to cancel the trip

In your case, Darth, I'd have seen a doctor just to qualify for the insurance.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to cancel the trip

Joe: You are speculating, yes? That's why I asked the OP what I did. We really can't give her any helpful advice until we find out the "real" question. Take care and Merry Christmas. Chuck.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: When to cancel the trip

You will not be able to file a claim until you have cancelled as they will require proof of cancellation. IMO I would certainly obtain written opinion of the treating doctor specifying they recommend you not travel on your scheduled dates before cancelling and filing a claim..

Edited: 18 December 2013, 23:22