We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta codeshare w/KLM, tried all tricks, no seats

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
73 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Delta codeshare w/KLM, tried all tricks, no seats

We are booked MSP-AMS (DL/KLM codeshare flight) and AMS-JRO (same). Able to purchase and select EC seats on first leg. Had seats on 2nd (window/aisle), of course changed by KLM.

Have contacted Delta, DeltaAssist, KLM and KLM Twitter and have received KLM PNR (which differs from Delta PNR). Still cannot CHANGE seats on 2nd leg (they moved us to 2 middle in the middle) although there ARE seats available if I pretend book via KLM site. I'm willing to pay for better seats but am told it can't be done (wth?). I'm willing to take a different NON-middle/middle seat, can't change it.

I've done research here and on FlyerTalk - is there any hope if I call KLM in Amsterdam versus the US (Delta staffed) number? We leave in about 10 days.

Thanks for any advice. Incredibly aggravating.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta codeshare w/KLM, tried all tricks, no seats

Check in on line as soon as it opens, seats can become free and check it periodically in the meantime.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta codeshare w/KLM, tried all tricks, no seats

wait till on-line check-in when you should be able to do it. did you book aisle/window in a row of three? if so, your move to middle/middle may be deliberate. many airlines will not allow aisle/window selection.

however, when i have flown klm as a code share [reluctantly] i got middle/middle too. despite having booked two seats together in a row of two with malaysian airlines, the partner. so maybe, poor old code-sharers draw the short straw...

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta codeshare w/KLM, tried all tricks, no seats

I had a similar problem flying on KLM this fall. Once I signed up for their frequent flyer program (Flying Blue) and used that number when trying online check-in again, I was able to upgrade to economy plus easily. Perhaps this is the answer to your problem too.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta codeshare w/KLM, tried all tricks, no seats

I had the same problem on a KLM code share flight with Delta last week. We selected seats when we made our reservation with Delta months ago, but based on previous experience, I was confident that those seats would not be the seats KLM assigned us.

I wanted to purchase economy comfort seats, and I called KLM direct in AMS. I was told there were no economy comfort seats available; although my seat map of the plane indicated that there were at least 12 open seats.

We gave up and just did ONCI 24 hours in advance. KLM had moved our seats. We had been in the middle of the plane. We were assigned to seats A and C in the second row of economy comfort seating. The center seat was open so I attempted to change the C seat to the open B seat. I got a notice that we had been given a seat for which there was a normal charge. If I changed the seat I would have to pay a $30 fee. So....we did not change the seat. When we boarded the plane we took our seats. I was prepared to just slide over to the B seat, because no one ever prefers the center seat to the aisle seat. The center seat, however, was never occupied.

We had the exact same experience on our return flight last week, except that we were assigned to seat A and seat F on row four. When we dropped our luggage, the man working the desk noticed that we were across the plane from each other and moved me from seat F to seat C. Once again, the center seat was not occupied.

I am not a fan of KLM, and I hate the process of obtaining a seat assignment, but I do have to recognize that this trip went very well for us, and KLM assigned us seats in the economy comfort section of the plane at no additional cost.

5. Re: Delta codeshare w/KLM, tried all tricks, no seats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 06:18