We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luggage allowance with a connecting flight

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Topic
luggage allowance with a connecting flight

this isn't a question,

something i wanted to share as i've read a few threads regarding luggage weight

this is about a flight with a connecting flight

my topic is... if you booked a flight with a carrier eg cathay, but have a connecting flight with a different company

who's weight policy do you have to obey??

well approx 5 years ago, i booked a manchester to hong kong flight for my dad via london DIRECT with cathay

connecting flight was BA, and they just brought out that stupid one bag per person in haul policy

ok, drove my dad to manchester airport and checked him in at th BA counter

his main luggage was only 15 KG, so i said to my dad, why dont you check in your hand luggage as well, saves you carrying it around (my dad is a oap) so to me this was sensible

my dad agreed with me

i said to the guy at check in desk, i want to check in the hand luggae as well

he said

its a one bag per person policy and if you want to check in your hand luggage we're going to charge you £xx...

i thought i misheard, i was like what?

bearing in ind the check in queue was quite large and only 5 desk was opened

he said i'd be charged

i said he's underweight!!!

he said thats the BA policy

i said i booked with CATHAY not BA!!!

and cathays policy is 23kg!!

he was rude but wasn't polite

i asked to see the duty manager

he came out and said the EXCAT same thing to me!!

my dad who was now running a little behind schedule said to leave it

i said to my dad that is not the pioint!!

i then said something completely out of the blue

i said i want to see the terms and conditions of my flight ticket!!!

manager pulled it up on his screen and lo and behold he had nothign to say!!

i was right, the terms and conditions was 23kg all the way through, no mention of *one luggage*

what made me hate BA more (i already had a bad experience with BA twice) was that the manager didn't even apologise he just asked for the bag to be weighed and he walked off leaving the check in guy to sort it out

by now... my dad was running so late they put him on a buggy (he walks slow)

i was there at least 30 minutes arguing!!

i don't mean to be digging at anyone, but to me if you have a connecting flight, you should obey they terms and conditions and not try and argue, or be calm and ask to see the terms and conditions if you haven't read it before kicking off!!

Edited: 20 December 2013, 21:16
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,901 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: luggage allowance with a connecting flight

And you waited 5 years before posting your experience (rant) - maybe be time to get over it.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,933 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: luggage allowance with a connecting flight

"And you waited 5 years before posting your experience (rant) ...."

Indeed, and Cute Baby Angel, the baggage rules for interning bags across multiple carriers has changed since 2008. It's now the Most Significant Carrier's baggage rules that apply, which in your example above would definitely have been Cathay pacific. Before then, there was confusion.

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luggage allowance with a connecting flight

I'm not having a rant I'm just sharing my experience

As lately I've been reading about people on here allowed to board a plane with x amount of luggage but getting charged on a connecting flight

This by no means is a rant... Just sharing

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: luggage allowance with a connecting flight

She is right, if you are flying to North America, you can check in 2 bags 23kg each with Emirates or Qatar, but if you have connecting flight on the same ticket with AA or United, on your way back, when you are checking with AA or United with a connecting flight in JFK or Dulles for Emiartes and Qatar, they will charge you $70 for the second bag, but if have a print out to prove that you can check in 2 bags, they will let it slide.

5. Re: luggage allowance with a connecting flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:18
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question