We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

We are travelling (2 adults 2 kids) with US Airways Heathrow to Orlando via Charlotte in Aug.

Do we have to collect our bags at Charlotte? I believe we have to go through customs at Charlotte, is this right or is it all at Orlando?

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

You go through immigration and customs in Charlotte, your first point of entry into the USA, so yes, you collect baggage there. You then give it back after clearing customs

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

Yes customs and immigration will be at CLT. Collect luggage and drop off again before your internal flight.

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

Ah so the 2 hour 25 connection time could be a bit tight then?

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

I addition to all the stuff with the bags, you will also have to go through airport security again, which means queuing up again, taking off your shoes, etc. If you buy Duty Free liquids in Heathrow you will need to move it into your checked luggage for the second flight as it will not be allowed through security as carry on.

So much depends on the time of day and the number of passengers going through.

However, since you are on one ticket, if you do not make your second flight, they should put you on the next available flight to your destination.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,356 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

"However, since you are on one ticket, if you do not make your second flight, they should put you on the next available flight to your destination." - Next available flight means one with empty seats as airlines don't bump passengers to seat others delayed from earlier flights. 2 hours 25 minutes is probably ok as long as the first flight is on time and there are no major queues at Immigration - try to sit as near the front of the plane on the first flight to increase your chances of making the connection.

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

According to viewtrip.com we have our seats in row 17 on an Airbus A330-300. Mind I cannot see them blanked out on the airline website!

On the return do we still collect bags or just go to next flight?

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,356 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

"On the return do we still collect bags or just go to next flight?" - Coming back you'll check bags at MCO and wont see them again (hopefully) until you arrive at LHR - just make sure they tag them to LHR when you check in at MCO.

In CLT on the return all you have to do is get to the departure gate.

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

That's great as the stopover is not as long on way back.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

Probably deliberately as it doesn't need to be

NH
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LHR-MCO via CLT USAirways Do we have to collect luggage @CLT

CLT is an easy airport to get through. I'm sure 2 hours and 25 minutes will be adequate. Your collection of luggage and recheck at CLT is VERY easy and convenient. I have literally made a connecting domestic flight after clearing customs from an international connection in 50 minutes. Agents at re-check were shocked to see me and were ready to rebook me on a later flight BUT...I made my connection!