We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways cancellation

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways cancellation

I cancelled my $1500 BA ticket to reserve a new one not realizing that they would charge me $1200 cancellation fee! Is there anyway I can get my money back or get credit for this?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways cancellation

No. The ticket was almost certainly non refundable. The terms and conditions would have been clear when you booked.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,230 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways cancellation

If you've booked a new BA ticket then RING BA, tell them what happen and grovel. Admittedly the call centre staff for BA in the US tend not to be helpful BUT you never know - they might have some Christmas spirit

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,292 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways cancellation

ditto

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways cancellation

Are you trying to cancel, and change to a new BA ticket?

Or change to a ticket on another airline?

Change fee and cancellation fee can be different.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways cancellation

I'll give them a call, wish me luck!

I already canceled weeks ago and booked a new flight. I only got the confirmation today about the ridiculous fee.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways cancellation

Good luck. You may get good news but don't have too many expectations.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways cancellation

I only got the confirmation today about the ridiculous fee.

=======

Its not a fee.

Almost without doubt, whats happened is that you bought a non refundable ticket.

So the $300 you got back is taxes and possibly fuel surcharge.

You were never going to get the other $1200 back from the very moment you bought the ticket, because your ticket was "non refundable". This would be no different on any other airline with a non refundable ticket that you cancelled.

It MAY have been different had you CHANGED the ticket instead of cancelling it, that would depend again on the type of ticket you bought.

You made a foolish assumption that you'd just get your money back, but all airlines will only do that in certain circumstances.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways cancellation

Admittedly the call centre staff for BA in the US tend not to be helpful BUT you never know

---------

The call centre for the US is now handled in the UK.

9. Re: British Airways cancellation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 06:17