We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying blue miles

P C
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Flying blue miles

Hi.

I just was wondering how many other individuals like me are being ripped off by the flying blue program of KLM (and Air France). I booked a ticket which indicated that I wil earn 25% miles on all legs of my itinerary but KLM would not credit the last two legs even as I showed proof that when I booked the ticket it was stated that I will accrue miles. The guys at flying blue "put" the blame on air france. How mad/annoying is that?!

PC

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying blue miles

The Flying Blue program recently devalued the scheme by increasing the number of points required from redemption for most categories. Air France have also moved a lot of its European Short Haul flights to its Low Cost Arm ( HOP ). These flights now earn zero or very few miles.

Without the specifics of your flights I don't think anyone on the forum will be able to give you the exact reasons for zero points being credited. Remember though, miles are earned by the rules at the time you fly, not the time you make the reservation !

Cambridge,UK
Level Contributor
229 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying blue miles

I lost return mileage credit on Aeroflot London Heathrow to Seoul last year as ticket was a lessor mileage ( Aeroflot being part of Skyteam Alliance with KLM / Air France ) but Aeroflot check in agents got it wrong at Heathrow and Seoul despite me double checking with them that the mileage would be credited . I was advised that as Seoul to Moscow was a heavily reduced ticket anyway I wouldn`t earn anything on that leg but would get the credit from Moscow to Heathrow. Ugh absolutely nothing at all on account !!

I have also had reduced mileage with Delta too. Sometimes these frequent flyer schemes are not always as good, and in past couple of years, not as generous as they used to be. Very frustrating at times.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying blue miles

I'm not sure if Flying Blue has changed their earnings program on partner airlines this past year, but it seems that whatever they do or have done, it's posted on their website here:

klm.com/travel/…index.htm

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying blue miles

A return Business Class flight from Europe to the Caribbean used to be 120,000 FB points, its now 150,000.

HOP was only created in April this year, and now many ticket class earn zero points whereas before there would have been at least some points from the pre-merger carriers.........

P C
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying blue miles

Thanks bk_t1, worldtravenut and fatbear2000.

I am up-to-date with regards to changes to AirFrance and KLM (esp. Flying Blue) and am careful to review the details of flights I book. The most annoying bit is that I booked my ticket direct from the site of KLM to avoid nasty surprises with regards to miles accrual. But lo and behold, the last two legs:

AF 1710 PAR HAM R9

AF 8233 AMS PAR R9

were not given the miles that were supposed to ge with them. I have never had problems with Miles and More of Lufthansa and start to regret flying KLM and Air France and taking part in the the Flying Blue program. At least AF, improved their EU-flights terminal. But I digress. I would not be making a big deal out of this if i booked the cheepest ticket around (that did not earn miles). I might as well consider flying low-cost airlines since I know what to expect from them and clear the miles I have accrued and close my cursed Flying blue account. Right now I'm just Flied red.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying blue miles

Air France have introduced Mini-Economy, which doesn't qualify for FB points. From Paris to Hamburg/Amsterdam you need to have purchased a Classic Economy or Premium Economy ticket

Lufthansa are transferring all their non Frankfurt and Munich short haul flights to German Wings, similar to what AF have done in creating HOP, and there will be a corresponding reduction in fare classes earning Miles And More points ( or Miles No More as a poster on another forum describes it ! )

P C
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying blue miles

Thanks for the info. If that is the case, then there is serious false advertisement/error that i got in booking the ticket.

8. Re: Flying blue miles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2014, 05:18