We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

Joliet, IL
Level Contributor
239 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

I am going to be travelling to Costa Rica from Chicago in June. The upgrade to First Class/Business Class is only an extra $300 and my husband is doing this for me for my birthday present.

The prices are equal on American, Delta, and US Airways, as are the flight times. So, my question is, which one has the best First Class experience - in all aspects - seats & comfort, meals, service, and other amenities.

On American, I would be travelling from ORD-MIA on a Boeing 767-300 and from MIA-SJO on a Boeing 757. The return trip would be SJO-DFW on Boeing 757 and DFW-ORD on McDonnell Douglas Super MD-80.

Delta's website is down, so I can't say what I would be on for that one.

For US Airways, I would be travelling ORD-CLT on A321 and CLT-SJO on A319. The return trip would be SJO-CLT on A319 and CLT-ORD on A321.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Joliet, IL
Level Contributor
239 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

I guess I would also add United to the list to compare - their flights would be ORD-IAH and IAH-SJO with the same return - all on a 737-800.

Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,415 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

I'm not sure what the premium is for it, but I recall there is at least one non-stop from ORD-SJO and back, during the week. I think it's Saturday or Sunday, but I'm not 100% certain. Guessing 737-800. I would rank non-stop business over connecting business anyday.

Joliet, IL
Level Contributor
239 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

Do you know which airline might have this non-stop option?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,415 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

United. I think it's Saturday.

Joliet, IL
Level Contributor
239 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

Thanks ill check it out

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,886 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

The UA 737-800 offers a 38" seat pitch so it will be basically a domestic F layout. Still, I would go with the direct over any connections in a heartbeat if you have the budget for it.

Quick fare search engine (though might not include all airline promotions so check the airline sites as well):

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

interested to know what you picked and why! (going on UA in BusinessFirst SFO/IAH/SJO and back in August)

Joliet, IL
Level Contributor
239 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

I actually ended up going with United. The dates for my trip turned out to be a Saturday through a Saturday so I was able to get a non-stop from ORD-SJO. They only have business class on these flights but the price turned out to be even better than the other options. I leave in just over 2 weeks and return the end of June. I will post a review after I get back.

9. Re: Business/First Class - American vs. Delta vs. US Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:17