We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Major Passport issue, need help!

Madison, Wisconsin...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Major Passport issue, need help!

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to TA, but not to traveling. So, my boyfriend and I are planning to go to Cabo San Lucas Jan. 6th-12th 2014. I have a valid passport, but he had to apply for one. He made an appointment for Dec. 2nd 2013 at our local court house to send in his passport application. I know, a little late, but we made the plans kind of late, and were assured that an expedited application would get us a passport in time. Long story short, he lost his DL, but had his BC, and many other forms of ID, based off the list we got from calling the passport agency. I was not at the appointment, but my BF said the man told him he had plenty of identifying information.

Fast forward to know, the application status online says "in process", and we called about the passport Dec. 12th, Dec 17th, and one other day around there, and got nothing but "its processing, but you'll have it before your trip." So on Monday Dec 23rd, we get a letter stating that they don't have enough identifying information from my boyfriend. The letter was post marked Dec 11th...we could have been working on this so much earlier! Anyways, we called, they said they needed as much as we had with either his name and photo on it, or his name and signature on it. There was also a long list of stuff. He still hasnt gotten his replacement DL from the DMV yet, but they gave him that temporary paper with his name, photo, and signature on it.

So, we overnighted that document, his government issued native american tribal ID (which was sent with the original application) his graduate school ID, his employee ID, his Costco membership card, a credit card, his daughters birth certificate, official college transcripts, old speeding tickets, newspaper clippings, and anything else that had any combination of his name, ss#, birth date, signature, and photo on it. Our tracking shows it was delivered at the passport agency this morning, Dec 26th. We just called and they said its not "in the system" yet. We kept asking if there is anything else we can do and if we will have the passport by our travel date, and all we got was "I don't know." Anyone have any ideas?

We have seriously sent them at least 20 documents. I have to believe that someone who lost their DL or doesnt have one has gotten a passport before? He doesn't have any child support payments or issues with the law or anything else that would keep him from getting a passport.

So if anyone has ever been through this, or has any advice or ideas, I am feeling a little desperate. We need to know if we should just scratch the international travel and try to salvage a vacation in in the US.

Thank you!

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,029 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Major Passport issue, need help!

I have never had this issue and wish you luck, but I don't understand why he doesn't yet have a new driver's license. When I have had to replace my Illinois one I have received the new one immediately. What about getting a state id card? Could he do that immediately?

If you don't seem to be making progress you could also contact your local Congressional office, as there will be a designated staff member for constituent problems. Getting help over the holidays coukd be an issue though.

Good luck.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Major Passport issue, need help!

A CERTIFIED birth certificate is acceptable proof of citizenship, but he needs proof of identity. Primary proof of identity is a government issued ID card, like a driver's license, and if he doesn't have one, then he needs a whole bunch of secondary identification documents or witnesses. Here's the official list:

…state.gov/passport/get/secondary_evidence/s…

Is there a reason his Driver's License is taking so long? You could get this done overnight if he just had government ID.

Madison, Wisconsin...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Major Passport issue, need help!

I'm not sure why the DL is taking so long, but it will hopefully be here soon. I remember mine arriving in about a week after I got the paper thing, but with the holidays, who knows. In WI we don't get a new DL immediately anymore. We get the paper thing and then the DL comes in the mail later. The state ID card is the same deal. They give you paper and then it arrives in the mail. I am hoping his government tribal ID and ALL OF THE OTHER stuff we sent , a lot of what was on that list, will work for now. I guess we will try the congressional office Monday morning if nothing happens by then. This is so stressful!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Major Passport issue, need help!

While it is frustrating I would imagine there are many reasons they are being so difficult. Don't forget a passport is a very valuable piece of identification. Maybe there is someone with a similar name who has problems and they need to ascertain exactly who your boyfriend is! Does your boyfriend have anything in his past that could also be problematic? ( I do NOT expect an answer to that question--just posing it for you to think)

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Major Passport issue, need help!

Hi

I hate to worry you but something has probaby caused you BF application to be red flagged..

It might take a long time to get his passport..

that is why I tell people get your passport as soon as you can even if you have no plans to travel for years.

I just renewed my passport in June has i had a flight in Oct total time for me was 10 days from when I sent my old passport in till I received my new passport and that was regular and simple renew

a new passport is much more involved and once it gets lt into a paper work problems or missing it can take forever

but getting a new passport at the last min I would never do and I would use a service and pay extra

good luck

I hope you have travel Insurance or can change dates.

Madison, Wisconsin...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Major Passport issue, need help!

There is nothing in his past that would cause a problem, and the issues we are having isn't so much being able to provide the information they need, it's more about them not letting us know what was going on. They got his application dec 5th, we called several times and were told everything was fine and that we would have it, but then got a letter saying they didn't have enough identifying information from him. The letter was dated dec 12, and we had called them at least twice a week after that. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the original post.

I understand the importance of getting a passport early. I have mine. But this is the situation and I'm just trying everything. Calling our state rep today and hoping they can at least tell us if we will get it in time or not. At this point we can still cancel and go somewhere else. It's just frustrating that the passport agency keeps saying "I don't know."

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Major Passport issue, need help!

What "passport agency" are you talking about? Do you mean the US State Department, or are you using third party to process your application?

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,029 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Major Passport issue, need help!

Assuming that you are talking about the government agency, they probably don't in fact know whether your boyfriend will receive it in time. I am sure it doesn't help that this is the holidays as just like many places, more people than normal will be off and shorter hours on Christmas and New Years Eve will be the norm.

I suggested the congressional office, not a state legislative one, because congressional staff probably have contacts in federal agencies the general public doesn't.

Madison, Wisconsin...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Major Passport issue, need help!

State dept. is what I'm referring to. And we did contact our congressional office today and they are goin to call and look into it. They said they will know more by Monday. So I guess we wil just sit right until then

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,029 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Major Passport issue, need help!

Okay you mentioned your state rep earlier which led me to believe it was a state representative not a US one.

Nothing more to do now I think but hope.