We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

I want to travel PE to London and if possible use my Qantas FF points to upgrade to business. However, to do this I have to book a flight with a QF code share number.

I don't want to book an actual QF Flight as the cost is A$1000.00 more than say BA or Cathay or Virgin.

So any thoughts or suggestions as to how I do this for a reasonable price?

Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,828 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

You can use QF to book CX or BA flights (non code-share) since they all belong to the Oneworld alliance. In your specific case, you would then have to purchase PE class tickets that are eligible for upgrades using your miles and subject to BA or CX availability. For example, when flying CX, not all fares are eligible for miles upgrades to business class.

Upgrade and purchasing a PE ticket are two separate issues.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

Are you sure that wold work Sammy? I thought you could, at least in general, only upgrade if flying with the carrier whose miles you directly hold. For example you cannot upgrade a BA flight with AA miles.

3. Re: Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 December 2013, 09:22
Edited: 27 December 2013, 09:22
Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

You can only use your QFF points to Upgrade on QF flight number operated by QF. Alternatively, you can book a Classic Award. If you end up buying the fare from BA, they sometimes have upgrade offers for cash.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 09:27
London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

"only upgrade if flying with the carrier whose miles you directly hold"

It depends. You can use BA miles to upgrade flights on AA or Iberia, but none of the other OW airlines.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

Realistically it is very difficult (& probably unlikely) to get QFF upgrades (for more than one pax?) to or from LHR unless a top status QFF member. What options are open depends on your points balance and your budget. Some alternatives may be to buy AA miles, or use QFF points to Hong Kong or Singapore & buy a premium economy or business class fare from there (or even depart from Perth) on Emirates, Qatar or Etihad. You could cost all alternatives. There are much cheaper Sales fares often available outside of Aus.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

Hi

Thanks but I asked QF specifically about this and I can only upgrade if I book on a QF codeshare flight. I can earn points on other One World carriers but I am trying to find out how to get the codeshare flight booking and then upgrade

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

Good luck & hopefully they may do it, but it's appears to be against QFF rules (as I understand it). see:

"16.1.4 Flight Upgrade Awards are not available when travelling on:

a) ...

b) ...

c) Qantas codeshare flights

(ie: Flights operated by another carrier with a QF flight number on the ticket)."

Link: qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/terms#jump15

Edited: 28 December 2013, 07:19
9. Re: Premium Economy Syd- London May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 05:18