We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

Is there price fixing involved?? re major carriers charging double (sometimes even more) the cost of a round trip for a one-way ticket (eg) ZRH-SEA?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,741 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

No price fixing. But most one-ways are full fare tickets (ie highest price bracket in Eco) while round trip tickets are sold in the lower price brackets.

This is mainly due to the fact that most who travel one-ways are business travellers who have to travel, with little regard to price.

Check Icelandair they fly once or twice to Zurich and sell one-ways without much of a mark-up compared to returns.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,765 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

That's airline pricing. The airlines charge by what they think people will pay for the flight. See the top question on the right titled "What's with these screwy ticket prices."

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

One-ways will be booked in a higher fare bucket than cheap returns. Why it's like that I can't tell you but evidently some airlines feel they will make more money that way. Some airlines like Aer Lingus and Air Berlin have cheap one-ways.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

There are some airlines that price per leg. Try Norwegian or Aer Lingus.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

For every full seat going out they want a full seat coming back ... it's not common to sell one way fares so they are basically covering their costs by charging so much more for a one-way.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

.... but ones persons out is another persons back.

It's nothing to do with covering costs!

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

Thanks everyone..it still reads price fixing (ie) what corporate want's corporate gets. And, my guess is, with evolving trade treaties, major air carrier price fixing will be a 'lock.'

Does price fixing matter to students, oldies, intrepids....returning families/adoptees? Sure it does. IcelandAir and Condor service Seattle//are showing the lowest fares out of Swiss in October as of today...that I can find. Thanks again everyone for your quick turnarounds. TB

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

Not really price fixing -- but good old capitalism: companies charging what the market will bear. If they can sell tickets at this price, they will.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,481 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

Interesting answers above but some people generalize. The answer is that it depends on the airline. For the airlines that I travel most with, including Air Canada, the return ticket price is just the sum of 2 one-way tickets.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One-way europe to us air fares are double RT fares, why?

Hi,

I disagree on the idea of price-fixing in that for this to be the case, it requires two or more parties knowingly to act in collusion with one another to artificially control the price...

To that end, I don't buy that this one-way pricing paradigm is a case of price-fixing in part because it does exist in many (not all, but many) markets and with many carriers..

Could it be? Sure it could - that possibility can't be ruled out to 100% certainty ... But with the availability of fare displays in near real-time, and the ability to review price changes and such, it's my opinion that there's less room for parties to collude on fares.

I think it's simply a case of charging what the market will bear relative to issues like the costs, various competitive elements and other factors all rolled up.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 28 December 2013, 02:27