We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines

Has anyone had any success in getting Spirit Airlines to pay for hotel costs when they cancelled a flight (NEXT AVAILABLE FIVE DAYS LATER)?

I booked a flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas leaving on 12/26/13. First, their was a six hour mechanical delay, then cancelled. Absolute nightmare!!!!

According to their call center in India, it is clearly stated in the legal terms and conditions section they are not responsible if they cancel a flight.

I am still working with billing, but am certain to pay first night, plus cancellation fee, plus service fee for the Bellagio hotel. I might be stuck with the entire bill.

It amazes me that they cancel their flight, can't get me there and they are not responsible! Utter frustration.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,209 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Airlines

spirit.com/content/…Contract_of_Carriage.pdf Section 7, especially 7.3, is germane here.

Spirit's CofC indicate that the airline has no duty of care in irrops, with some exceptions. You should look to your travel insurance to cover extra expenses in this case.

'With limited exceptions, Spirit will not reimburse customers for flights that they take on other carriers.' If you booked with another airline instead of waiting five days for seats on the next available Spirit flight, you *may* be able to claim that, but again you will probably have better luck with your travel insurance.

Unfortunately, after a six hour delay when the plane went tech, I suspect the flight was cancelled because the crew had gone out of hours. Not nice at all.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,215 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Airlines

Unfortunately, one of the reasons Spirit is cheap is that they don't codeshare with other airlines, and they don't have a lot of other flights to put you on if things go sour, which they do, as with all airlines. The US has no laws requiring airlines to pay for your accommodations when a flight goes tech, unlike Europe, so legally they are absolutely allowed to screw you over this way, unfortunately.

This is why it annoys me when people talk about the EU regs as "compensation culture." This is what happens when you don't have those laws. I'll take "compensation culture" over a culture of screwing the customer any day.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Airlines

No. You chose them because they were cheap. Now you know why. Next time move to a cheaper hotel. Lots of them in Vegas

Edited: 28 December 2013, 14:58
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Airlines

Oops. Read that backwards. Moving in Vegas won't help. You may be stuck.

Actually in this case you would probably be stuck no matter who you flew. For example I have had Delta pay for a hotel when I was stuck away from home but never if they cancelled a flight out of my home town

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,353 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Airlines

<<<<plus cancellation fee, plus service fee

The cancel penalty will be the first night room rate, which if you booked direct you already paid. What makes you think there will be 2 other fees from the hotel?

You chose a great hotel but you picked the worst airline to get you there.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit Airlines

File a claim with your travel insurance.

7. Re: Spirit Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 05:18