We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

Berlin, Germany
11 posts
Save Topic
Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

Most of them are German, that is my problem, see Expedia DE (marks up prices by 5 euros)

- AMEX DE - requires registration + German AMEX card it seems - Lastminute DE - these two have the same prices as the airline - minus the booking fee

Strangely Irish sites I tried (EUR currency, English speaking, example: Expedia Ireland, Lastminute Ireland - crashed) show higher prices for the same flight

My flight:

VIE - BEY

March 3-12, 2014, Royal Jordanian

Price on RJ.com: 272.59 EUR + 10 EUR booking fee

I would book with a reliable site than this airline directly, plus save 10 euros in booking fee. What are reliable booking engines for me which speak English?

Edited: 28 December 2013, 02:32
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

'I would book with a reliable site than this airline directly, plus save 10 euros in booking fee.' The Expedia Austria website shows a fare of 277€ including a 5€ booking fee.

For a difference of a few euro, I would book directly with RJ and be glad to do so. Should the flight times change, you will hear from RJ rather than hope that a third party will contact you. In case of irrops, you will deal with the airline instead of that third party.

Berlin, Germany
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

Maybe I my example was not that good, I could have said a better example EgyptAir or XYZ Airlines with ugly website. I rather deal with a respected 3rd party booking engine than with said airline's customer service line over the phone though I have no objection flying them.

So in general, is there a solution to my query?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

There are plenty of 3rd party booking sites in English.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

I rather deal with a respected 3rd party booking engine than with said airline's customer service line over the phone though I have no objection flying them.

-------

Don't know why you wouldn't use their websites, but in that case pay the 5 Euros and use Exoedia DE.

For 5 Euros I'd book with Expedia DE over any manner of shonky fly by night other third parties. There aren't that many good ones out there and you could easily "save" 5 euros and then run into a world of hurt and lose 100x that with one of the rip off agencies. It's not all about price.

Berlin, Germany
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

Expedia DE - or I could use Lastminute DE (Travelocity company) and save the 5 euros, that is not the main point here.

My main pet peeve here is these sites operate in German only, can't read their terms and conditions, who knows if I need an emergency change of booking I am lucky to find on the other end of the line an English speaking agent, you get the idea.

The situation is not ideal to the least.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 14:50
Berlin, Germany
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

However, if I go German -

flugladen.de (BudgetAir - company - for English) has the same ticket 10 euros cheaper

fluege.de has the same ticket 20 euros cheaper!

the main question which of these are fl-yby-night and which I might trust my continued business to?

fluege.de also offers a free Gold MasterCard, for what it's worth (to help determine fly-by-night status)

Edited: 28 December 2013, 15:05
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

I would just book it on rj.com and accept the currency hit. Inevitably the Ts&Cs of whatever third party site you book through, will also encompass RJ's as well.

Berlin, Germany
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

Sorry if I might not have been clear enough. No worries, I copy-paste myself again:

Sure, the RJ example was not the best perhaps, as it is not that bad of an airline. However I am not worrying about this 10 euros but there are airlines and times I might rather want to deal with a reputable 3rd party site than the airline directly. (I just took a look at the EgyptAir site and got that very feeling. I am sorry)

I am looking for a long term solution for my continuing business with a reputable English speaking site which accept euros from the center of Europe.

UK
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

By the sound of it... what you REALLY need is a flesh-and-blood travel agent. A good travel agent would give you the best of both worlds. You wouldn't be dependent on badly-designed airline web sites, but if things go wrong you would get almost the same type of service that you would get if you were to book with the airline direct, as flesh-and-blood travel agents, unlike the Expedias of this world, generally do look after their customers.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 16:37
Berlin, Germany
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Reliable Flight Booking from Central Europe: EUR, English?

"what you REALLY need is a flesh-and-blood travel agent"

Very will might be the case. Without derailing this topic - OTAs or online travel agents deserve one, nonetheless - do we have a separate discussion here dissecting the pros and cons of dealing with some of the available flesh-and-blood travel agents available in the marketplace?