We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

My family (4 adults) will be traveling the Orlando - Gatwick route in June 2014. I would appreciate opinions on which airline offers the best flight experience, British Airways WTP or Virgin Atlantic PE. Price would normally help me make the decision but currently they are within pennies of each other. Thank you for your help!

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

This thread may contain what you are looking for:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5524090…

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

Whichever you choose, be careful not to end up in the middle of the centre row - no better than economy in my opinion.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

+1 SpinyNorman, middle of the block of 4 not very good, window pairs excellent.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

On BA, the window bank of seats does tend to get booked out prior to OLCI opening. You only need to be BA bronze to book seats at t-7 days, and bronze is very very easy to get. (Two transatlantics in WT+ will get you there)

If you book PE on Virgin, you can select your seats at purchase.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

Sadly Virgin have now gone to only being able to book your seats 90 days in advance in any cabin.... The MOST annoying thing they could ever have done! It changed last Nov (2012).

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
16,403 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

Emma, have a look on the VA website as it has all changed again and you now have to pay £25 pp each way to pre-book seats at the time of booking your flight. If you don't want to pay, you will have to wait for on-line check in and take pot luck. So, this makes the 90 day rule look positively good IMHO.

At the moment, people like us who are flying this coming May, can only pre-book seats 30 days before we fly, at a cost, as they are "rolling out the programme". When we bought our economy tickets last July, we went with VA as there was no charge for pre-booking seats at 90 days. Now we will have to pay £50 each. Hey ho.

Lisa, we have only flown PE on VA to Cape Town, as it was a 12 hour flight and we were more than pleased with it, although for the extra cost not sure we would do it for a flight to Orlando.

Edited: 31 December 2013, 16:20
London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

The seat booking charge only applies to discounted economy tickets.

If in upper, PE or full fare economy, you can still choose when you book.

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/876

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

Just spoken to Virgin and for PE and UC then for any booking made after 1st April you will be able to book at the time of booking your flight. For any after the 1st April in those cabins then you can't book your seat till after that date but will be able to do it online after that date. This is the roll out details link …custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/86

Guess it will get easy for future bookings at last!

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

cant speak for BA

but i love virgin

virgin PE

…photobucket.com/albums/e125/meimeilai/Virgi…

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic PE vs British Airways WTP

Think it applies now as well.

My wife made a UC booking on Boxing Day, and was able to choose the seat there and then.