We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

I collect avios points now and flew to vegas with virgin two years ago so have 5k points to spend before they expire.

Virgins website is nasty.... anybody know what I could get with 5k points?

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

A trip from your cab to the airport door? The answer is, I believe, not a lot.

I have 120,000 miles with virgin and have been trying to book a flight to Vegas in UC or PE. there is never any availability, even when flights have just opened, or if there is, there is not a return option.

If someone knows differently, I'd love to hear it!

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
586 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

Not a lot flight wise. Its 7500 to fly to Aberdeen with Little Red.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

You can't do a lot with 5000 I'm afraid. If you are a member of a hotel program, perhaps you could transfer them to that.

Julie - You could always use them to go indirect with DL? May be more availability that way.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

Very little for 5000 miles virgin-atlantic.com/content/dam/VAA/flying-c…

I've had a return UC LHR to Narita, a miles plus money for same, plus miles plus mlney to Delhi, FWIW. But you need lots of miles!

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

Intrepid....Delta? They do a reciprocal? Let me know more, please?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

Yeh when I had some left over like that I transferred them to hilton. Lost a lot in the transfer but it was better than nothing.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

Yep, take a look at the link below. I think that you have to phone - not sure it can be done through the website.

virgin-atlantic.com/gb/…delta-air-lines.html

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

Julie I think you just need to strike lucky with them, I had a great chat with one of their agents once and they told me that a certain number of miles upgrade options per flight but even they don't know when they will be released or if they will be. Frustrating!!!

We were lucky with our current booking we got return UC flights to HK using miles for £200 less each than the best PE price they could offer! Given we were looking for PE flights if we could not get an upgrade it was a complete bonus. That was booked on the first day the flights were released and they only had a couple of those on offer for that route apparently.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

"certain number of miles upgrade options per flight but even they don't know when they will be released or if they will be. "

Not sure I believe that.

I think that the number of award upgrades is heavily dependant on the number of revenue seats sold (in the cabin you are upgrading to)

They may have a few that get released when the flight first goes on sale that is a defined number, but more may get released at later stages. (Which I guess is why they don't know how many, or when)

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5000 virgin atlantic miles to use

Not sure how Virgin work out what and when to release but I do believe that the reservations team have no idea! That would not be a huge surprise to anyone that the telephone based agents are not told when certain deals will be released as there will be a number of commercial factors I am sure that decision is based on.

We wanted to use our miles from E to PE but there were no options released on that basis and had not been for that flight on those dates according to the agent I talked to but they did have the economy to UC option. According to the agents I talked to (as I put that option on hold for 24hrs as I wanted to confirm other things so called in to book it and their system was down so it ended up being held for 48hrs)each time I queried it as it seemed too good to be true I was told the same thing.

<<(Which I guess is why they don't know how many, or when)>> Thought you did not believe that ;-)