We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International transfer in Ataturk airport: access to change

Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
International transfer in Ataturk airport: access to change

Hi all,

I have an international connection through Ataturk airport in Istanbul (I am not actually staying in Turkey).

I would like to use this opportunity to change some Turkish Liras that I have from a previous trip.

Do international transfer passenger not going through passport control have access to change? And if so, where.

Thanks!

D

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International transfer in Ataturk airport: access to change

Looks possible, airside : ataturkairport.com/en-EN/airportguide/Pages/…

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,030 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International transfer in Ataturk airport: access to change

There are some exchange facilities located airside although the exchange rate is likely to be poor.

ataturkairport.com/en-EN/airportguide/Pages/…

Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International transfer in Ataturk airport: access to change

Thanks, Tom.

I wonder though if "airside" means before passport control, or after passport control but before customs.

I realize the exchange rate will be poor but it's hard to change TLs outside Turkey.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,503 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: International transfer in Ataturk airport: access to change

Goocha, if you're in Israel as your avatar says, have you tried an exchange booth in Jerusalem (or presumably the same in Tel Aviv)? I remember a few years ago when I asked if they could change some fairly unusual currency - I forget what - the man said they would change anything, "even Iraqi currency". Again the rate isn't likely to be wonderful, but it would be worth investigating.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International transfer in Ataturk airport: access to change

You'll definitely be able to find a currency exchange airside.

6. Re: International transfer in Ataturk airport: access to change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:18