We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Club - Amtrak Guest Rewards Access?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
United Club - Amtrak Guest Rewards Access?

So I have the Amex platnium card which grants access to most airline clubs other than United. I also travel quite a bit on the Amtrak Acela . . . and Amtrak Guest rewards Select Executive members (and maybe some other membership levels) are supposed to be accorded access to United lounges - and United Club members are allowed access to the Acela lounges. I've encountered raised eyebrows before from United Club attendants unfamiliar with Amtrak Select Executive cards, but when they swipe the cards - everywhere other than Dulles (IAD), they apologize for the inconvenience and let me in. I have frequently encountered problems at Dulles. Especially when traveling with my family. The Program guidelines provide that the card provides access for myself and (1) one guest OR (2) my spouse and minor children. Twice I have been turned away from the Red Carpet Lounge at Dulles. Once when traveling with a couple of my minor children, I was told that I could only bring one as a "guest" and would have to leave the other outside (leave a minor outside at an airport? really?). And most recently, on Christmas day "Polly" at the red carpet club at IAD told me that I could either bring in my minor children OR my spouse, but not both. (We were also traveling with an au pair, and I volunteered that I would use a day pass for the au pair, no problem), Polly explained that I would have to buy another day pass for my husband if I wanted him to enter with us. Again, leave my spouse standing outside on Christmas day -- really? We declined to enter. I emailed Amtrak guest rewards and was told that they apologized for the inconvenience, but my understanding of the rules was correct, and my spouse and minor children should have been admitted. Doesn't do us much good now. Anyone else have issues with this?

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,271 posts
905 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Club - Amtrak Guest Rewards Access?

Much depends on the attendant at the UA Club - some know the details, and are accommodating, while some are just not - they view their role as a "gatekeeper," and seem to relish in denying a pax admittance to their club.

Good luck, and just be prepared to show your various cards - do not take "no" for an answer.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,547 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Club - Amtrak Guest Rewards Access?

I have no experience with this, but I did a search in the flyertalk forums and saw some posts. If it were me, I guess I would print out the web pages from Amtrak guest rewards which clearly explain the privileges, terms & conditions. In one of the flyertalk posts,the following suggestions were listed about how to deal with less than knowledgeable check-in agents at the UC.

In any case, the way to (politely) deal with agents like these is:

1) Insist that they scan the card

2) Insist that they reference the policy binder at every UC front desk

3) Insist that they call a supervisor or service director

4) Call the UC service center oneself explaining the immediate situation

3. Re: United Club - Amtrak Guest Rewards Access?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 05:17