We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which travel insurance is decent?

New York
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Which travel insurance is decent?

Hello,

just wondering which travel insurance you guys use that really work? In the fall we had a two week vacation to Europe, involved four United flights.

First got canceled, ergo the second one we missed. Took three other ones instead. On the trip back two flights were planned. Both got canceled even though they were confirmed about three times. Had to take another airline back, skipped last flight and took the train back instead. Had paid for the overseas flight extra for economy plus seats and of course didn't get them since the flight got canceled and we flew with another carrier.

Paid $700 for travel insurance, didn't see a penny.

Thanks, Undine

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,317 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which travel insurance is decent?

I think you have shop, in person, for the insurance policy that gives you the coverage that you want. From priority 1 on down. I think it takes sitting down with a broker to ask the hard questions. Online insurance, insurance you click and buy as an add on to an online flight purchase has got to be the biggest risk of all.

New York
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which travel insurance is decent?

Hm, yep, I noticed.

The insurance we had was recommended by our travel agent. Covered cancellation AND trip interruption. We had both and we received nothing.

Had to fill out a of forms, copies of this, copies from that, itineraries, statements from the credit card, statements from the travel agency and so on and in the end the big nothing. Very disappointing and $700 blown out the window for nothing.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which travel insurance is decent?

What expenses did you incur and what was the basis of the claim being denied. Did you have prepaid hotel reservations and such that you were unable to use? Simply having flights cancelled and being put on the next available flights may not constitute a viable claim.

I think the issue with the economy plus seats should be directed to the airline.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which travel insurance is decent?

I have found that insurance offered by certain premium credit cards is actually quite good,...the top level AMEX cards seem particularly responsive to claims under their insurance programs.

I have never purchased the insurance sold by a travel agent, partially because I know they earn huge commission on it and the fact there are more holes in their policy than a swiss cheese.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which travel insurance is decent?

You have not mentioned what your out of pocket expenses might have been due to these cancellations/interruptions. IF you didn't have out of pocket expenses or if there was a deductible then the insurance won't pay you anything. One has to read policies carefully and understand what exactly you will get. You don't get paid for "pain and suffering" only for out of pocket losses.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 15:23
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which travel insurance is decent?

Just re-read your post. $700 for 2 weeks on travel insurance in Europe? Sounds like your travel agent made off like a bandit with a price like that.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which travel insurance is decent?

Maple, not sure how you can make a statement like that without some facts. Premiums are based on number of travelers, ages and most importantly total cost of trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
906 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which travel insurance is decent?

I find it important to be able to compare coverage between policies and read the exact coverage details before purchase. I've used insuremytrip.com before and had good results - they make it very easy to select what coverage you want/need and then to read the policy details (the 'fine print') before you sign up. I however have never had to make a claim (so far...).

I just tried a sample on that site - for a four person, $10,000 vacation to the UK, the premiums ranged from $134 for a "basic" policy to just under $1000 for a premium policy. $700 is reasonable to cover this holiday, and should offer pretty good coverage (of course, the OP's situation may have been completely different).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which travel insurance is decent?

Well, I suppose $700 may be an ok price, but we don't know if that is for one or 4 people.

In any case, I still think premium credit card coverage is the way to go. The travel agent likely earns 40-60% commission selling that product--they are typically the worst place to shop for travel insurancee.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 17:45
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,105 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which travel insurance is decent?

Last place I'd buy from is a travel agent or from the airline. Use a site like squaremouth.com to compare policies. Put in exactly what you're looking for and they'll give you options from several companies that you can book online. Post 1 said use a broker. I did not even know they had brokers for travel insurance.

Also, other than the premium economy seats, did you have any other out of pocket expenses that you lost that you expected the insurance to cover? Lost hotel reservations? Expenses due to staying over a night when you missed a connection? Usually insurance reimburses you for lost expenses of some sort.