We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

... to keep your hand luggage with you in the cabin

This is a new rule from their FAQs:

"Due to cabin space limitations only 90 cabin bags (55 x 40 x 20 cms) can be carried in the cabin, any remainder will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold."

It seems pretty clear that there is no option, although I would imagine that if there are 91 people on the flight and there is room they won't force the last person to board to gate check their bag.

Given that Ryanair 737s carry up to 189 people, this rule means that more than half on a full flight will need to gate check their bag.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 12:04
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Within a few cm in each direction. It fit the sizer with no effort.

tripadvisee_90210
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

We had the same experience. Priority boarding, 1st to get on the plane, but they had already counted 90 bags in the regular line before getting to us, so we were forced to check the bag. Despite that they promised it would be delivered at the gate, we had to go to baggage claim to get it. The worst part about this is the bags we had were small soft bags that were not really designed to handle the abuse of being checked. Luckily nothing broke.

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
73. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Yesterday I flew from Tenerife to Edinburgh with Ryanair. The FIRST 20 or so passengers to board after the Speedy Boarders had their bags tagged for the hold at the gate. I sat on the plane as one of those initial 20 watching all the late arrivals stuff their bags into the nearly empty overhead bins. Looks like passengers should just kick back and board at the last minute.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

What's going to happen when, say 90 bags are permitted in the cabin and the next 10 bags are smaller than the permitted dimensions, thus allowing next 10 bags to fit below seat in front

======================================

What would be the problem with that? Except that all cabin baggage are, by definition, smaller than the permitted dimensions.

So far as I know, Ryanair has not yet followed EasyJet, and introduced a smaller size which is guaranteed to be allowed in the cabin. I'm sure they won't be long doing that. Hopefully, they'll word the guarantee as clearly as EJ did theirs. (No, not sarcasm, I think the EJ wording is perfectly clear).

It sounds as though RA are counting bags as passengers arrive in the queues, irrespective of which queue they join. Which is fair enough so far as the rule relates to the FIRST 90 bags.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 15:16
Wells, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Can I just boost this - how is this working out in practice? I understand the 90 bag rule, but once the 90 have been identified, what happens? Are all bags put in the hold, or just ones at the maximum cabin dimensions? We fly tomorrow and are thinking of taking a max size bag (which we anticipate will be moved to the hold, and we're fine with that) and a bag big enough to take a couple of iPads, medication etc. This will be bigger than the 35x20x20 limit on the second bag, but small enough to fit under the seat. Are we at risk of this also needing to go in the hold? If so, we'll need to think again

Thanks

Alan

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

"Are all bags put in the hold, or just ones at the maximum cabin dimensions?"

Yes, if there are more than 90 bags, any number above that go in the hold, no matter their size, if it's bigger than the "personal" item that is now allowed. I would suggest that you bring a couple of carrier bags that you can transfer the electronics and medication into should the bag have to go to the hold, assuming you aren't already planning to bring a second bag.

Wells, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Thanks Douglas - we will bring some smaller bags that fit the personal limits

Edited: 06 April 2014, 20:58
Sheffield
Level Contributor
141 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had any more experience of how this is working. We fly on Friday and are wondering if it is a mad scramble to be one of the first 90 on board. Are the bags which are put in the hold returned to the gate on landing or do you have to go to baggage reclaim? Really confused!

Wells, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

When we flew out (Bristol to Malta) last week, we were ready to have our two bags taken off us - we were amongst the last to board. They did tag some luggage as going into the hold (and to be picked up at the baggage carousels) but not by any means all - which means we kept all four bags (including the "personal" sized ones) with us.

So the policy seems to be enforced in different ways - but I would suggest you accept the likelihood that your bigger cabin bags will be taken, and keep everything vital for the flight in the smaller cabin bags

Newquay, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

So what about responsibilty for damage to items like laptops. The idea of cabin baggage is that personal items can be carried and the responsibilty for their security remains with the owner. I am not happy at the thought of my laptop or tablet being loaded into the hold of the aircraft.