We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hobart to London

Hobart, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Hobart to London

I'm intending to book a flight HBA to LHR in April.

The cheapest flights I can find through the flight sites is around $2000.

However, if I look at Mel to LHR the cheapest is around $1500

Even if I took the boat the cost to get to Melbourne and back is only around $300 while flights there and back are around $250.

So, for the inconvenience of being responsible for my own baggage I can save around $300.

I guess my question is, how come the 'flight sites' can't find this result?

Chris

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hobart to London

What 'flight sites' have you been looking at?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hobart to London

So, for the inconvenience of being responsible for my own baggage I can save around $300.

--------

It's much more than inconvenience, its RISK.

If your HBA to MEL flight is rescheduled so that making the MEL to LHR flight is impossible, or if on the day it's late, or cancelled then your $300 gain just turned into a financial disaster as your entire $1500 flight is canceled AND you'd have to buy a new one on the day at much higher price AND pay for an overnight hotel in MEL AND lose at least a day of your holiday.

Other than that, it's all upside :-)

Hobart, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hobart to London

It would be easier to ask what ones I haven't checked :)

kayak, expedia, airfarewatchdog, flight centre, byjet, bravo, cheapo and the airline sites

Hobart, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hobart to London

Yep, understand the risk but I can see 3 airlines and several flights that would get me to the flight on time.

I can be conservative or take a risk - I guess I have to decide whether $300 saving is such a big deal:)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hobart to London

The boat does not leave from Hobart, so there is that firstly.

April is Easter, so fares will be more expense depending on when exactly you want to fly.

As previously said, if you book HBA to MEL independantly, you are taking the risk of missing your flight from MEL.

Go and look directly at the airline websites - not other sites. So, look at Qantas, Virgin Australia, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, etc. They all have flights from HBA to LHR. Not sure who the $1500 flights are with, but $2000 is probably about right if you are flying over Easter.

If you decide to book MEL-LHR return and do HBA-MEL independantly, allow extra time and hope that there are no problems getting to Melbourne on time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hobart to London

HBA to LHR is more expensive because there will be fewer people booking a through ticket (HBA-MEL-LHR / return) than those booking MEL-LHR. The higher fare is for the convenience / assurance of booking a through ticket rather than booking a separate HBA-MEL as you've considered, as the latter has potential pitfalls as joe has pointed out.

Kayak and airfarewatchdog.com are simply search engines, calling up information from third party booking websites. Flight Centre, at least in Canada, is a fairly reputable agent, who should have access to the airlines' real time GDS fares. cheapoair.com is a third party agent I would not touch with a collection of bargepoles, but they must be able to book some flights correctly or else they would no longer be in operation.

Third party booking sites may or may not have that real time access to the airlines' fares. If the airlines can match the $A1500 from MEL to LHR and you're willing to risk missing the flight then book it and hope for the best. If you want more reassurance, book directly with the airline from HBA to LHR and look forward to the journey.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hobart to London

We've done this trip several times and most recently on Qantas. It was by far a better option than previously when we flew a cheaper option from Melbourne but had to stop a night in Melbourne to avoid the risk of missing a connection when the ticket wasn't a through ticket.

Qantas fares are a bit higher than some but they don't cost any more from Hobart than from Melbourne. It was also useful to have the higher 30kg allowance all the way from Hobart (we were away from 3 months so had a bit of luggage!). Previously we have had a Virgin flight from MEL-HBA and had to keep within their allowance which is much lower.

Also I'd always choose MEL rather than SYD to transit through.

8. Re: Hobart to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 23:40
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,755 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hobart to London

Oh dear there is a lot of nonsense written here about ticket buying. I suspect by people who are willing to spend a lot more money on airfares than I am.

OP just buy a ticket to MEL that leaves you plenty of leeway and buy your international tickets from MEL..

And for all of you risk averse people out there - we are going to Tasmania in March - flying into Launceston. We cannot buy a ticket from here that takes us all the way there. We HAVE to fly via MEL and to buy 2 one way tickets.

What's your answer to that???

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hobart to London

""OP just buy a ticket to MEL that leaves you plenty of leeway and buy your international tickets from MEL""

Not sure if it was me who was talking nonsense (!)m but I gave the reasons why I preferred to fly on one ticket which I think were valid. It also meant on return on an international arrival I was able to have only a 1.5 hour break in the journey which I couldn't have done on a separate ticket.

Nozzie- can't you buy Adelaide-Launceston via MEL on one ticket?

Edited: 31 December 2013, 01:00