We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earbuds

Fox Creek, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Earbuds

Stuck on the runway for about an hour with a plane load of crying babies, I decided to preserve my sanity and listen to some music. I was told (snootily) by the stewardess that this was illegal according to Canadian travel laws. When I questioned this, her only response was "I hope we're not going to have a problem." Needless to say, I (maturely) rolled my eyes at her, took them off and decided another Xanax was the best possible decision for everyone.

Anyway.... Can someone give me some insight into this law?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,808 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earbuds

At that stage, the plane is officially in take off mode. See the Portable Electronic Devices section here:

travel.gc.ca/travelling/air/what-to-pack

Edited: 31 December 2013, 09:23
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,885 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earbuds

Are we talking about your own music or the aircrafts?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earbuds

Anyway.... Can someone give me some insight into this law?

======

Obviously its so that you are immediately able to hear any emergency announcements and they don't need to be repeated to you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,570 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earbuds

In CA still can't use electronic devices once airplane doors closed until at cruising altitude. That includes whike on the Tarmac waiting to take off.

London
Level Contributor
515 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earbuds

It's because you're about to fly into the sky whilst sitting down and with zero effort needed to be made by you. So in return for making you fly they're just asking you co-operate with their safety measures while they make sure a massive metal machine with people just sitting down in it flies in the sky like a bird.

thank you to Louis CK for inspiration

Edited: 31 December 2013, 13:24
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,276 posts
905 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earbuds

<<In CA still can't use electronic devices once airplane doors closed until at cruising altitude. >>

Is that correct? The part that I am asking about is "cruising altitude." On US carriers, the 10,000' altitude is when most electronics are allowed - a chime is normally sounded at that point, and usually an announcement is made.

However, there ARE many changes now, regarding various forms of "electronics," at least on UA. Not sure about CA.

Thanks for that clarification.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,570 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earbuds

Sorry, meant 10,000 feet. My mistake there.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earbuds

The OP is not really about "earbuds," but about having electronics ON when all the rules (including airlines) are that they are to be OFF until you are informed you may turn them on. Not just CA, either. Bring a book to keep yourself occupied while waiting.

Not sure about what the electronics changes in the US include -- or when they take effect.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Earbuds

I think they would ask you to remove earbuds, noise cancelling headphones, etc. as when worn by you the flight crew can't tell whether or not you are operating a portable electronic device when it's not allowed to do so.

Foam ear plugs usually do the trick.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earbuds

There are rules that say that you must be able to hear crew announcements during phases of take-off and landing. Ear buds worn means that the crew doesn't know whether or not you are listening to something that could block those announcements. That is changing for some US carriers, but I think it is still in place for most others.