We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re-enter US using Citizenship

CO
TX
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Re-enter US using Citizenship

My friend just got her citizenship and her US passport is in the process (still 2-3 more weeks). Right now she need to go to Malaysia for her father funeral. Her Malaysian passport still active, she is planning to go back with her Malaysian passport and re-enter US with the citizenship. Is it possible to re-enter US with citizenship? or should she wait for the US passport?

Edited: 04 January 2014, 01:46
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,149 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re-enter US using Citizenship

She will need a passport to re-enter the US. I'm not sure what you mean by "use her citizenship".

CO
TX
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Re-enter US using Citizenship

Thank you, what I mean is re-enter with her citizenship certificate or document.

CO
TX
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Re-enter US using Citizenship

Thank you, what I mean is re-enter with her citizenship certificate or document.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re-enter US using Citizenship

If she doesn't have a passport, it isn't going to work. She needs to use the Malaysian passport each direction. It will be the same line on the return. Presumably she still has her green card. It is difficult to attend the funeral if she waits.

CO
TX
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Re-enter US using Citizenship

Her greencard has been taken by the immigration in exchange with her citizenship, so no more greencard.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re-enter US using Citizenship

CO,

So as I understand it your friend has just naturalized as a US Citizen, and her passport application in in process, in which case her certificate of naturalization is also with the passport authorities (I had to send in my original when applying for my first US passport).

Is it possible for someone else (yourself, another friend, her employer) to look out for her US passport when it arrives? Then she could travel to Malaysia now on her Malaysian passport, and you/friend/employer could courier (FedEX) her US passport to her in Malaysia when it arrives.

That's exactly the contingency I plan when my US passport is out of my possession (visa applications, new pages, etc). I arrange for it to be delivered to my office so that if an emergency arises I could travel on my UK passport and my admin could FedEx my US passport to me so I can return using it.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 03:59
UK
Level Contributor
7,155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re-enter US using Citizenship

There have been threads on Flyertalk about similar scenarios - i.e., dual nationals needing to travel to the USA while not in possession of their US passports. The recent one that I remember was a French/US dual citizen who was able to get an ESTA for his French passport (which got him onto the flight) and then explained his situation on arrival, and it all worked out. But of course every situation is different, and I don't even know (without looking it up) if Malaysians need a visa to enter the USA

Your friend can obviously travel to Malaysia without any problem... and her top priority now is to get there in time for the funeral. Perhaps the best advice would be to just go, and then sort things out with the US embassy there after the funeral.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re-enter US using Citizenship

Aviatrix,

Malaysian citizens do need a visa to enter the US. And as Friend no longer has her Green Card her Malaysian passport alone will not be sufficient for her to re-enter the US.

While I would firstly look at my recommendation - I have taken those precautions ever since I obtained US citizenship, including when I applied for my US passport, for precisely this sort of occurrence (I had an emergency bereavement and so know the issue) - I agree that the next avenue would be for Friend to contact the passport agency and see if there's anything they can do to help.

This may be clutching at straws (though I expect there is a solution), but IF the application can be tracked and intercepted, maybe there's a possibility of the passport being delivered to the US Embassy in Kuala Lumpar for Friend to collect there (she would obviously be subject to documentation and ID checks). I have heard of cases where US passports have been lost/stolen when pax have been on travels and replacements (either full or temporary one way documents allowing return home) have been made available at the remote station within 24-48 hours.

And I agree, Friend should travel to say farewell to her father. My condolences and best wishes to her.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 10:23
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re-enter US using Citizenship

Useful links -

travel.state.gov/passport/npic/npic_898.html

http://malaysia.usembassy.gov/passports.html

http://malaysia.usembassy.gov/contact_us.html

10. Re: Re-enter US using Citizenship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 05:18