We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA behaving badly

My house
Level Contributor
5 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
BA behaving badly

My wife and two kids were through ticketed business class on flights from Japan to UK. The last sector was LHR - ABZ with BA. Who decided that because they don't offer business LHR - ABZ would not honor the baggage allowances of the main carrier. So they were billed for excess baggage. We travel a lot,never had any other carrier do this, Anyone else had this sort of nonsense happen to them?

I used to be a top tier frequent flyer with BA but left them for other carriers now they routinely send me (automated) emails asking why i don't fly them - this is a great example of why.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA behaving badly

If it was all on one ticket with BA you would have had the same allowance all the way through surely? There are no business seats on routes to Scotland but you would have the access to lounge and baggage.

Sounds like two separate tickets?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA behaving badly

Wouldn't all luggage have been checked through so what sort of excess luggage were they asked to pay?

Edited: 04 January 2014, 12:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA behaving badly

I'm a bit confused as well, the luggage should have been ticketed through, so I can't understand how they were charged for baggage at heathrow?

If it was separate tickets, then it was correct, if not, then something is missing from the story,

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,988 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA behaving badly

Wouldn't you go through Customs/Immigration at Heathrow and then transfer to a domestic flight?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA behaving badly

BA is very clear:

"If your journey includes flights in more than one class, the more generous allowance will apply to your whole journey (unless the flights are on separate bookings then each class's allowance will apply to the individual flight).

So if they really were "through-ticketed" then this should not have happened. But the fact that they had to reclaim their bags in London (which they would have had to do for any baggage charges to be applied in London) indicates that they were on two separate tickets. The only other possibility I can think of is that they had a stopover in London on the single ticket. In that case, the higher allowance should still have applied.

"Wouldn't you go through Customs/Immigration at Heathrow and then transfer to a domestic flight?"

Immigration yes, customs no.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 13:01
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA behaving badly

"OP behaving badly" sounds more likely to me, unless they come back and say whether their "through ticket" was two separate tickets, or whether it was indeed one single ticket.

Sounds so far like BA behaved perfectly well, although since the OP has yet to use "scam" or "bait and switch" (which 100% of the time means it was the posters' fault...) we should await clarification of the ticket issue.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 13:51
Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA behaving badly

I'm waiting with baited breath! ;-)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA behaving badly

Hi

He's not having a lot of luck with airlines, two posts on the same day with complaints, Lufthansa lost his luggage and BA didn't want to transport it.

The OP does say he was through ticketed so I guess that means one ticket in which case the higher luggage allowance should apply, but if it was booked through on online agent it could mean that what appeared to be a through ticket was in fact two tickets cobbled together.

Jackie

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA behaving badly

but if it was booked through on online agent it could mean that what appeared to be a through ticket was in fact two tickets cobbled together.

=====

That was my thought. RS24, who did you buy the tickets from?

My house
Level Contributor
5 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA behaving badly

One ticket, all the bags were through ticketed from point of origin to destination including the short domestic BA sector

However on collecting boarding cards at the transfer desk they asked for baggage tags, (with ABZ as destination) and applied a excess baggage fees.

Due to arrival of incoming flight and departure of next sector there was an overnight involved in London but this is not unusual.