We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

Hello Friends,

I will be visiting Europe for 2 weeks in mid August. I am planning to spend a day or two in Paris and then go to Switzerland. I want to see the major attractions such as Matterhorn, Alps, Rhine Falls, Jungfrau, etc. Then I will go to Italy to see the major cities such as Rome, Venice, Milan, etc. Here is my plan so far:

1. Travel from Toronto to Paris (France). Stay in Paris for couple of days.

2. Travel from Paris to Lucerne (Switzerland). I am planning to have 2 base stops in Switzerland and stay about 5 days in total. First base will be Lucerne from where I can go to nearby tourist attractions. I haven't finalized my second base location yet.

3. Travel from Switzerland to Italy. I am planning to spend around 7 days in Italy and visit the major cities.

Here are my questions, and any help in planning the trip is deeply appreciated.

1. How is the idea of spending 5 days and 7 days in Switzerland and Italy respectively?

2. What should be my second base in Switzerland. Preferably closer to Italy so that I don't spend a lot of time travelling.

About the trip:

Since I will be on vacation with my parents, I do not want to make the trip hectic.

Thank You

Dev

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,404 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

Yours isn't an air travel related question. You should post in the various forums.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

With arrival and departure days out of the picture, you will have 12 days to cover a fair amount of ground. Travel by rail will allow you to see the countryside as you travel from city to city. Start with www.sbb.ch/en www.trenitalia.com and www.thalys.com

If you haven't yet booked plane tickets, consider an open jaw flight from YYZ to CDG with a return from FCO, so you will not spend time and money backtracking from Italy to France.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

If you are going to Jungfrau then Interlaken is a good base, we stayed there. we did your trip but in reverse https:/…panorama-packages-uk

Go over to the Swizerland TA area and ask there (although few people frequent that forum in the summer Months, there will probably be more people on there now being peak season.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

Thanks for the reply...I will go through all the links shared

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

If your trip to Europe is not flying or involving train travel, but involves any cross border road trip travel, please also ask on the road trips forum. There are things you would need to consider to drive in more than one country, especially in a rental that is totally off topic for this forum, and while some of your destinations can be reached easily by train, others work better in a car, but you'd also need to know where to avoid with a car by contrast, too!

SWT

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

Your ideal trip looks pretty intense and as it stands you will spend an awful lot of the time going to and from airports and flying ,to and from trains/coaches and travelling and checking in and out of hotels without factoring in time to relax and enjoy yourself, have done similar trips myself in a similar time scale but only by car as it gives you complete flexibility to go where you like, see what you like, when you like at the pace you desire-August is normally the busiest month for holidaying in Europe but IMHO a great time to visit and enjoy Switzerland and Northern Italy and the Lakes

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

As a base in Switzerland-what about Lugano?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

7 days in Italy to see' Venice, Rome, Milan, etc.' will mean that you're spending most of your time travelling rather than seeing the cities. Cut it down to - at most - two. Rome should certainly be one of them.

9. Re: Visiting France, Switzerland and Italy for 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:17