I will be visiting Europe for 2 weeks in mid August. I am planning to spend a day or two in Paris and then go to Switzerland. I want to see the major attractions such as Matterhorn, Alps, Rhine Falls, Jungfrau, etc. Then I will go to Italy to see the major cities such as Rome, Venice, Milan, etc. Here is my plan so far:
1. Travel from Toronto to Paris (France). Stay in Paris for couple of days.
2. Travel from Paris to Lucerne (Switzerland). I am planning to have 2 base stops in Switzerland and stay about 5 days in total. First base will be Lucerne from where I can go to nearby tourist attractions. I haven't finalized my second base location yet.
3. Travel from Switzerland to Italy. I am planning to spend around 7 days in Italy and visit the major cities.
Here are my questions, and any help in planning the trip is deeply appreciated.
1. How is the idea of spending 5 days and 7 days in Switzerland and Italy respectively?
2. What should be my second base in Switzerland. Preferably closer to Italy so that I don't spend a lot of time travelling.
About the trip:
Since I will be on vacation with my parents, I do not want to make the trip hectic.