We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

Hello

Planning another trip to London this summer. I flew British Airways last summer, and I enjoyed it however I want to try another airline, which in this case is Lufthansa. It's my first time traveling with a connection flight and I am curious as to how the process would work (please bear with me).

The flight would be YUL-FRA-LHR.

The flight from yul arrives at terminal 1, and I have a 4hour 30 minute layover. The flight to LHR leaves at Terminal 1 as well. How does this work? Do I just walk over to the departure gate for my next flight, or do I have to go through some sort of security? (I am terrified...it's my first time)

The flight home would be LHR-MUC-YUL

Thanks for your patience!

Edited: 06 January 2014, 04:18
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

With a 4hr30 layover you'll have no worries. That's more than enough time for an air side connection (I'd recommend 2 hours).

You will need to reclear security which will be done somewhere en route from your arriving gate to the departure concourse. Just follow the signs to your gate/concourse. FRA is a bit of a maze so just make sure you watch the signs and take the right directions. You won't need to any form of immigration as the UK is not part of the Schengen area.

As regards Lufthansa, my big gripe with them is their new economy seat. Not very comfortable, as the mountings to the floor can be right in front of you, impeding your legroom. I try to avoid LH because of that. Pity, because their in flight service (flight attendants) and all other aspects of the airline are top notch.

But then again, seeing as BA flies the 787 on YUL-LHR with their tight squeeze in economy I guess it's six of one and half dozen of the other.

Enjoy your trip. :-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

USBusinessTraveller thanks for the reply! I've heard amazing things about Lufthansa which is why I want to try them. I would go for Air Canada, but they changed their configuration on the 777-300 with 398 seats in economy. Not cool. But I didn't know British Airways flies the 787 on the yul-lhr route?? When I took it, it was a 700-200.

Just out of curiosity.. what would happen to my luggage during the 4h30m layover despite it being all the way checked through?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

"Just out of curiosity.. what would happen to my luggage during the 4h30m layover despite it being all the way checked through?"

It will be transferred to your Heathrow flight by Lufthansa. You won't need to collect it in either FRA (or at MUC on the return).

I wouldn't worry about that. I've done 4 hour connections at FRA before and my bags haven't gone astray. Just pack a change of clothes (or two) in your carry on, for the very unlikely event of your bags going astray. That way, you won't be having to do emergency shopping in Primark because you have nothing to wear. :-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

Thanks again. Highly appreciate the info. I am so paranoid when it comes to everything, I believe I have no luck lol. Here I am thinking that the one time I take a connection flight, will be the one time my luggage disappears. What sucks about Lufthansa is that their carryon policy is 8kilo, which is 16 pounds. I am trying to find something that is lightweight, and thinking of buying a little backpack so that it could be my personal item. I hear that Lufthansa doesn't usually weigh the carryon bag though.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 05:31
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

The carry on limit (especially weight) can be a deciding factor in which airline to fly. The European carriers are strict and I wouldn't bet against Lufthansa weighing your bag. That may be a deal breaker in going back to BA (23kg) or dare I say United (18kg).

That said, on a business trip last month I made the Malaysia carry on weight limit of 7kg (and they do weigh everything) and still included two changes of clothes (2 shirts, t shirts, underwear and socks) along with my laptop gear. So it can be done.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

mmmmmmmmh...I hear BA calling me....I am so indecisive when it comes to picking an airline.

Thanks again BusinessTraveller!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

".I hear BA calling me"

.... and the good news there is that I made a mistake. BA's YUL-LHR service is as you pointed out still on a 777. It's one of the YYZ flights that's on the 787.

:)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

Lufthansa are good, they're my preferred airline for Europe if I can't get a direct flight. Their service is formal and efficient, unnoticeable in the way that good service is suppose to be. For transfers Frankfurt terminal 1 is unremarkable.

Justice, Illinois
1 post
9. Re: Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

I am flying Lufthansa Chicago ORD - Frankfurt FRA - Krakow KRK. What do I have to do at the airport? Once I arrive at my gate where do I go to? Do I have to go through security? Thank you very much! :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Hows does the connection work at Frankfurt?

Lukasz,

When you deplane look at the monitors for your onward flight to KRK and follow the directions to that concourse/gate. Make sure you follow the signs explicitly; for example if your gate is A14 do NOT follow signs to say A21-40.

At some point along the way you will reclear security, and you will clear immigration onto the Schengen area as FRA is your first point of entry (the lines are not usually that long for immigration, less than five minutes). You won't need to collect your bags as Customs will be performed on arrival at KRK.