We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camera bag on flights

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
camera bag on flights

haven't been aboard a plane in a number of years ..from what I've been reading most airlines say they allow a camera bag and laptop on flights in addition to ONE 'carry-on' bag...

does anyone know if there is a size limit to the camera bag.. have to take along a Lowepro Fastpack 250 camera bag with SLR plus two extra lenses plus a 13" laptop ..will be flying Delta internationally from Venice Italy back to the US.. also flying Southwest cross country San Diego to Charleston SC

any help greatly appreciated

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,713 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camera bag on flights

Delta's rule is one carry on plus a personal item that will fit under the seat ahead of you. For your personal item I'd just get a bag that you can place the camera and laptop bag in temporarily while you board then you can unpack once on the plane. A large reusable grocery bag or something like that is easy. And you can use the bag for souvenirs on your return.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camera bag on flights

thanx..I just wasn't sure as they are very vague in their description of what is a camera bag etc..

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
330 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camera bag on flights

Hm, would guess that as long as it's small enough to fit under the seat, as I think is guidelines with most airlines about 'personal items' which the bag would count as it shouldn't really be a problem

Though I'd get onto the airline specifically, could be different for different airlines

NZ
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camera bag on flights

Delta as above but be aware for future travel that some airlines are now bringing in a weight restriction along with a size restriction (after all the hold is where luggage should be). Air New Zealand has introduced a 7kg weight limit on carry on luggage and do random weight checks.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camera bag on flights

Kay many airlines have had weight restrictions on carry on luggage for years and many that I know of have also been weighing it for years (eg SQ QF and MAS) just 3 that have weighed my carry on - but there have been others too. .

I thought last time we flew with ANZ ( a year ago) they had weight restrictions but it was probably 10kg then.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: camera bag on flights

I always thought the camera that was stated in addition to the carry on was a compact camera. I travel with a Lowepro Photo Sport 200 with an SLR, and two lenses and a tablet and other 'stuff' but I consider that to be my carry on bag. I would not be bold enough to turn up with a rollaboard AND my camera bag, never tried it though...

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: camera bag on flights

A camera bag, laptop and carry-on suitcase makes one bag too many, by my calculations, unless the laptop is inside the camera bag or carry-on bag. I usually use a "laptop" daypack as my underseat bag -- it would hold a laptop plus an SLR with lenses (carefully packed with padding).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: camera bag on flights

Oh - I always have both a rollaboard plus my camera backpack and laptop. Have been told by check in staff on a number of occasions that this is perfectly fine. Just dont try it on Easyjet or RyanAir though! On those flights I rearrange so that camera laptop etc all goes into one bag which is a Loewe camera backpack

Edit:

I will NEVER put my SLR camera and lenses in the hold - are you kidding? Thats over $3000 worth of very stealable and breakable stuff.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 02:43
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,570 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: camera bag on flights

I think the summary statement is, it depends and you need to check with EVERY carrier you will be using when it is close to your departure date.

Noida, India
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: camera bag on flights

camera bag on flights is nothing about to worry things.you can take camera bag which is fitted under your seat and more things which is fitted under you seat you can carry with self. camera bag should be small in size otherwise you can not bring with yourself.