We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about using multiple airlines to Maui

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about using multiple airlines to Maui

Hi - we are booking a trip from the Midwest to Maui. It is about $140 cheaper per ticket to use multiple airlines. Since we're booking 6 tickets, that's a pretty significant savings. However, I have some questions about it and was hoping someone here could help me!

1) Do you have to get your luggage and re-check it when you change airlines in the middle of your trip?

2) Do you have to pay each airline's baggage fees?

3) What if something happens and your first flight is delayed or cancelled - will the 2nd airline work with you or are you just out of luck? The airlines are Frontier and Alaska Airlines.

Any input would be MUCH appreciated! If there is anything else I should think about, let me know. We'll be traveling with two children, ages 6 & 7. Thanks!!

Alberta
Level Contributor
658 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about using multiple airlines to Maui

Be sure to pack a swimsuit and coverup that can double as pj's and other things that would be difficult to buy once in Hawaii if your suitcases should go astray, even when you go direct.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about using multiple airlines to Maui

It depends on whether this is being booked as one through ticket or as separate tickets. If they're separate tickets, yes you would have to pay baggage fees applicable to each ticket. Also, since they are separate tickets, leave yourself plenty of time to collect your bags, re-check them and re-clear security.

If these are on separate tickets, neither airline would take responsibility if you miss your connection. Remember, they're only required to get you to the final destination on the tickets issued by them, not the final destination for your trip.

If these are sold as one through ticket (in one PNR and with one ticket number), then the rules change. In this case, your bags would be checked all the way to your final destination and the airline should transfer them between flights. Also, if on one ticket, you would have some protection if you miss your connection. In this case, you would be placed on the next flight (with available seating) to your final destination.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
888 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about using multiple airlines to Maui

When you say two different airlines, are you buying one ticket on Frontier's site, and another on Alaska's? If so, then the answers to your questions are

1. No, you'll have to exit the secured area, collect your luggage, join the check-in line for Alaskan and then join the security line before getting to your next gate. Allow plenty of time in case the first flight is late or the lines are long.

2. Yes

3. If you miss the second flight you'll have to buy a new flight at the 'walk-up' price (i.e. very expensive) if any seats are left. Alaska airlines may take pity on you and re-accommodate, but there is no obligation.

If instead you bought a single ticket with two segments on these different airlines things would be different. Alaska and Frontier are 'interline' partners which means they can transfer luggage and you only have to pay the first airline's baggage fee. However I tried on both Frontier and Alaska website to buy a Omaha to Maui ticket and neither would offer me this combination of airlines.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about using multiple airlines to Maui

I am looking on sites such as Kayak and Orbitz, so not sure if that qualifies as one ticket or two separate tickets? I looked up Alaska Airlines Code Sharing partners and did not see Frontier - can you tell me where you found that they were interline partners? Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about using multiple airlines to Maui

flyfrontier.com/customer-service/travel-supp…

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about using multiple airlines to Maui

3) What if something happens and your first flight is delayed or cancelled - will the 2nd airline work with you or are you just out of luck?

If you are booking though Orbitz you have contact Orbitz for any glitches..they are selling you the ticket not the airline. That is the downside to using a third party booker and they are not always cheaper.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about using multiple airlines to Maui

Orbitz does have the capability of booking these airlines as one through ticket. They could do this by issueing tickets plated on a common carrier (IE: a carrier that has an agreement with both airlines) It's perfectly legal and does qualify as a through ticket.

Personally however, I would not suggest using this option. Frontier is trying to convert to a LCC and there's no guarantee that any agreements in place right now may exist in the future.

8. Re: Questions about using multiple airlines to Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:20