We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

America

Perth
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
America

Hi Guys,

Was wandering if I could get some help on this one, I'm heading to America in July, from Per-LAX then from NY-Perth , Internal destinations include LA - VEGAS, VEGAS - AUSTIN, AUSTIN - MIAMI, MIAMI - CHICAGO, CHICAGO TO NY.

Not sure on whether to book flights with my international ticket ( quoted 3.5k) or to do my own research, Only thing putting off about research is that I don't know where to start, I like the flexible idea that if I want to stay at a place longer I can just book the next flight, but I know its also the expensive option. Help :( p.s I don't really trust flight consultants, which is why Im here :)

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: America

I would book Perth-LA and NYC-Perth as one open-jaw ticket, then do my own research to find the most convenient domestic US flights. I assume you are making stops at all of your destinations. Use a flight search engine like www.skyscanner.net to get an overview of flight options for your itinerary, then book flights separately and directly from the operating airlines. Book all flights in advance, if you want flexiblity, decide for yourself whether it is worth it to book changeable tickets on some of the legs.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: America

With that many domestic stops you may want to look at Southwest Airlines since they give you flexibility in changing dates etc.

Perth
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: America

thanks for your advice! I search sky scanner and got a quote for all flights, maybe i should just go into a flight centre and show them what I have and for them to match hehe

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,663 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: America

Note that Southwest flights don't show up on the third party search engines, so you would need to go to their website to check for those fares.

I agree with both #1 and #2. Look at an open jaw PER-LAX//NYC-PER, and then look at Southwest flights for the internals at http://www.southwest.com

A reputable full service travel agent is another option (definitely not an online booker). I have no experience of Flight Center who are based in many countries, though reviews of the Australian operation on here don't appear to be that good.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: America

Flight Centre would just look up the same web sites that you have been using. You need a proper independent travel agent, not one of the bulk-sales chains that infest shopping centres.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: America

Last year we took 6 internal US flights (each also had connections ) - so actually 12 separate flights in all. I booked them all myself on line with the airlines .

They were HNL-Kalispell Montana, Kalispell to Sacramento CA, Sacramento to Durango CO, Durango CO to Long Beach CA, Long Beach to El Paso Tx, El Paso - NYC

Total cost was <$2000 for 2 people. I did not use Southwest though I initially thought I would and even joined their FF program. . They did not turn out to be the cheapest on any of the routes we flew. We used Delta, Alaska, US Airways and United.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: America

Internal flights look at airlines

Southwest

Jetblue

Virgin America

For Miami fly to Fort Lauderdale

a smaller airport and far easier to

negotiate.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,117 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: America

Pretty sure Virgin and jet blue won't fly any if your routes other than I know jet blue does chicago to New York JFK but go ahead and check.

Perth
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: America

Thank you so much for all your replies! I will definitely be looking into all the flights, is Southwest

Jetblue & Virgin America generally the cheapest? Will be buying a return international and then internal flights

online.

Different question now, Is it safe for 2 girls to drive from SAN FRAN./DIEGO to VEGAS? Once we arrive to LA and done our touring we were going to either San Diego or San Fran but don't know which is better.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,902 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: America

'Is it safe for 2 girls to drive from SAN FRAN./DIEGO to VEGAS?' Yes it is.

Whether San Diego or San Francisco is 'better' is a matter for each to decide for herself or himself. I'd say go to San Diego and then stop at the Grand Canyon en route to Las Vegas, although if you plan to travel this July you will need to book a night at the South Rim straight away.