We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane to London flights

Mackay, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Brisbane to London flights

My husband and I are are looking at a trip to the uk in 2015. We are in our 50's and comfort is important, but we don't have a pile of money to throw around. We live in Mackay, so have to factor in another flight to and from brisbane prior and after the long haul.

I've been checking flights and have come down to 3 options.

1. Do the flights with cathay pacific economy and 2 day layover in Hong Kong both ways.

2. Do the flights with qantas and British airways economy class for the long haul with a few hours in Singapore

Or 3. Do a round the world in economy class, meaning travelling east to west all the way.

So far the furthest we have flown was from the Gold Coast to singapore with scoot and we had a good experience with them. We also flew air Asia from kl to singapore and that experience was like being on a local bus full of people and chooks, not so good. I'm opting away from the budget carriers in favour of a bit more comfort. We are looking at travelling in uk spring, so not peak season and am asking for others opinions and or travel experiences.

Many thanks to anyone who offers an opinion.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisbane to London flights

Do BA & Qantas still work together? I thought Qantas was now with Emirates

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisbane to London flights

I would look at the idea of Cathay Pacific economy to Hongkong, scrap the stopover (unless you really want it ) and spend what you are saving by moving up to Premium Economy with British Airways (who code share the route) and travel on their latest A380 which have been introduced to the route.

I have travelled this route many times and there is no ideal way of doing it. Stopovers in Hong Kong and Singapore are expensive even for Australians. So I would advise doing it in one go.

On the return leg, again upgrade to Premium Economy with BA for the long overnight leg from London and take economy for the daylight leg from Hong Kong to Brisbane.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,714 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brisbane to London flights

You've not mentioned Korean Air via Seoul.

It's worth a look. Certainly better seat pitch than BA.

And a free hotel for outward ovefnight in Seoul.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brisbane to London flights

If you're looking for airline suggestions, SQ is amongst the best, if not the best. Changi is a wonderful airport to transit in. However, as much as I like Singapore, Hong Kong has a lot more to offer in terms of a stop over.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brisbane to London flights

Why are there just those three options? No matter who you fly with there will be a stopover ... Singapore, KL, Dubai, HK, Bangkok, Seoul and maybe Tokyo. (possibly more) You select a budget and see what fits, check airline reviews for your class and go for it. You also seem to be way ahead on needing to choose.

My problem with Cathay is timing, we pre booked an advanced fare Bris/London flight with them and two months out the return trip was changed ... instead of a few hours suddenly we had a 19 hour stopover in HK, as nice as HK is we wanted to get home so cancelled and flew BA/Qantas.

No matter which airline you select 14 hours in economy isn't very pleasant, choose one of the better airlines to increase your comfort level.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brisbane to London flights

Hong Kong is great for a stopover. But I would only stop one way for 3 or 4 days and just transit through Hong Kong the other way. Hong Kong is not expensive, as long as you are not going in a peak time (convention or Chinese New Year) and can book at least a few months in advance - plenty of very good hotels availabe for less than A$150 a night. Local travel and food are cheap also. You might want to check out the Hong Kong forum for an idea.

Cathay has two flights a day from Hong Kong to Brisbane, so you will have flights that match up with your LHR-HKG flights.

Mackay, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Brisbane to London flights

Apparently at the moment they are still doing the London run, but may change in the future.

Mackay, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Brisbane to London flights

Thank you for your reply crazy pom. Sounds like good advice and I will out some thought into your suggestions.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 01:10
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brisbane to London flights

Just out of interest how are you finding 2015 flights already? Most airlines don't release tickets more than a year in advance. And there will be sales during the year.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 01:13
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brisbane to London flights

Leone, make sure when you look at the Qantas/BA or Qantas/Emirates flights that you do a multicity search starting and ending in Mackay. It can work out cheaper to include your home city than factoring in a separate flight to Brisbane return. You would put Mackay - London and London - Mackay into the search boxes.

This might also work with Virgin.

I like to put my dates etc into bestflights.com.au and see what pops. It will give you an idea of what flights are available through the different hubs. Make sure you look carefully at the timing of connections etc.I would then book my flight directly with the airline. Cut out the third party in the deal. You should wait for the earlybird deals that come out in October/ November for flights next year. You should be able to pick up a good deal then.