We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra Seat

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Extra Seat

Hi all, Is it straight forward to book an extra seat on a flight?.

Wife and i plan to go UK - Australia (return) and thought we could purchase an extra seat thus giving us more room. Just wondered if you have to book three seats then put one of the passengers details down twice.

Thanks in advance

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra Seat

Depends which airline you intend to travel with. Some carriers do have procedures for this in place.

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra Seat

Thanks for that, it would appear that i will have to contact individual airlines to check. Looking to fly with Emirates, Qatar or Etihad.

Just to clear the grey area up, we (my wife and i) are retired, (must mention we are not over weight, no offence, but reading previous post the comments tend to drift onto needing the extra seat due to size problems). We have also flown to Australia twice in the last couple of years so are familiar with the journeys. We just thought that to purchase a "middle" seat at the "full" asking price was the way to go to be more comfortable

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra Seat

I think you need to speak to the airlines. I also don't think you need to pay the full price as you see it, because you may not have to pay taxes etc, which can add to the cost quite a lot. Let us know how you get on and what the costs are, because it's a good Idea.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra Seat

In my view an extra seat is not going to give you that much space in economy - you'll still have the same legroom and the risk of a seat recliner in front of you - personally speaking I'd be looking at Premium Economy or whatever the respective airline calls it, you should get additional legroom along with the possibility of a higher baggage allowance and better meal options.

The cost of 2 x P/E may be comparable to 3 x Economy.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 20:44
leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra Seat

was thinking the same as tomc97

if you've travelled before have you saved any airmiles with the airline you've flown with?

i know virgin atlantic gives a discount from 2000 airmiles per person (approx £70 off)

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extra Seat

I can really understand you wanting to do this and if I could manage it, I would consider doing the same.

What would put me off, however, would be the stories of people being made (to feel guilty if they didn't) to change seats for families who hadn't paid to reserve seats yet assumed that they had the right to sit together - irrespective of passengers who had paid to use those seats.

i don't know whether or not it's something to think about.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extra Seat

Excellent point ladybracknell, I can easily imagine a scenario where the crew, seeing two people and 3 seats, asks them to move to accommodate others, perhaps a family split up with a small child, or soemone witha broken leg then needs an aisle, whatever, you'd be an obvious "target". And they might not take no for an answer. Then you'd be in a world of hassle on the plane, then trying to reclaim your fee, even if you manged not to swap there would be a bad atmosphere which would spoil the flight and if that was outbound you'd be concerned about it happening on the way back instead of enjoying your holiday

Because of that, and because I think its better anyway, I would buy 2 PE seats over 3 economy any day.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extra Seat

I agree one buying two PE seats over three economy seats.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extra Seat

Would be interesting to see the cost differential on it.

Agree there is a risk of being moved so a family can have the seat, sigh,,,,

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,377 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extra Seat

Or how about the poor obese man who purchased two seats, only to find that his seat assignment had changed and the two seats were assigned to different rows?